Points based league

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Hambowen

Points based league

#1 Post by Hambowen »

I just entered a points based leagues with a ton of categories that either add or subtract points based on performance. Some examples are -2 points for a pitcher that gives up a double or 3 points for a hit with runners in scoring position(kinda a dumb stat to use and not sure I will even include it in my rollups).

Anyways i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to start with creating my spreadsheet for such a league. I work in excel everyday and am very comfortable with vlookups but was hoping other people may have already gone through some of the trial and error of creating such a spreadsheet and I can learn from your pain. :lol:

Also Todd and Gary is there anyway to get the stats that are not including in what you release but I assume are part of your valuation process? I know some like hits with runners in scoring position may not exist and I can just ignore those and still get close enough to point based value.

Any help would be apprectiated
Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Points based league

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

You get everything we project.

I am in process of writing a primer explaining how to use the CVRC for points leagues - with the assumption that you have access to the necessary stats.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#3 Post by Hambowen »

Ok thanks Todd,

Sounds like a will be missing a decent amount of stats. i could probably back into some of them with assumptions. I know some of the big ones will be minus points for pitchers on doubles and triples. points for relief appearances and stuff like that.

Won't be exact but I can back into a lot of them I guess.

#4 Post by Guest »

Sounds like a rough league.

Where do you guys get it scored?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

It sounds like there are a few stats that are more happenstance than anything. I wonder if the focus should be on the stuff a bit more projectable, and you let the rest fall where they may. If Gary agrees with this philosophy, he may have an idea of which stats are "luck".
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#6 Post by Hambowen »

It is on cbs. It is a new league to me. They needed another owner and they know me from other leagues so they asked me to join. Since it was very different then the standard leagues I do I said yes.

I will be able to make it work and just ignore some cats that are not a big deal.

Hambowen

#7 Post by Hambowen »

Was wondering if anyone had any stats on how many hits in the league are doubles and triples. I am just going to use a static % of hits to figure out how many doubles and triples pitchers would give up since those are minus points more then a regular hit.

Other then that I just decided to ignore the other fringe stats besides relief appearances which I will figure at 1 appearance per inning and hope that it averages out. We will see how that works though.

msugray

#8 Post by msugray »

2008 Hits:
Total Hits- 43972
Singles- 29194 (66.5%)
Doubles- 9014 (20.5%)
Triples- 886 (2%)
Homeruns- 4878 (11%)

IF your scoring system is linear (-1 single, -2 double, -3 triple) all you need is the Total Base (TB) data because it's just -1 per total base. That info is available at MLB and CBS. If it's non-linear, I don't know where that data for each pitcher would be.

Hambowen

#9 Post by Hambowen »

Thanks for the info MSU. I will root for MSU today as thanks(and to root against the team that beat my school Boston college).

It is only -0.5 for singles. I will just take the hit data and subtract home runs then use the %'s you gave above for every pitcher. Will be close enough. If I did not do it then the point totals between pitchers and hitters would be way off because 23% of the hits are doubles and triples which are -2 and -3 respectively in the scoring system. I need to account for that even if it is just equal across all pitchers.

Thanks for the info it will help.

Hambowen

#10 Post by Hambowen »

Rules got tweaked 2 days before the draft :evil:

Does anyone know what % of hits are with runners in scoring position last year? Just gonna take the % and make it the same for everyone because hits with runners in scoring position are worth 3 additional points now so it is too high a number to ignore I think. Did some google searches and could not find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated

#11 Post by Guest »

43,972 total hits.

16990 w/ runners in scoring position.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bs ... &year=2008

Homertime

#12 Post by Homertime »

Sorry I missed your draft date, but if you would like to use it for next year, I actually do have a quite extensive Excel workbook for a points league (I use in both baseball and football). The main focus of it is that it's all about the points you get and when you can get them. You could setup the main page easy enough by yourself by doing the following:

1) Get the projections you are going to work with and calculate total points for each player.
2) Get the latest ADP chart.
3) Order the players by points top to bottom, and use your VLOOKUP to get the ADP of the players. Add a number by them that represents their rank. (remember, it's all about total points).
4) Graph this out (I use conditional formatting on the cells).

The graph is like this:

Across the top I have the # of the pick I have.
First color is red. If the player is ranked lower than your pick, that box is red, and at that pick you plain old don't consider them.
Next color is green. Green is any box from where the red (don't pick them) area ends to the ADP.

That's about all there is to it. The green area represents the "window of opportunity" for a player. If you want a player and the bar is red, it's too soon and you should let someone else grab him. If you want a player and the bar is green, you can quickly see a rough estimate of whether you need to take him for his value or if you can wait. (ADP's not perfect, don't wait too long).

I do go a bit farther. For instance, I have a page of charts that shows me how many players I can expect to be available at each position for each round. That way I can determine if a position truly is short and if I should make a bit of a leap there. I also have a page where I list out all the players at each position so I can set tiers, and get difference potential information. And I added a "wants" number that if I can wait on a player until he hits my wants zone, I can build a team that gets enough points I'm comfortable I'll win it all.

Anyway, the spreadsheet is in Excel 2007, and if you want a copy, let me know and I'll zip it and e-mail it for you. That main page isn't really hard to recreate if you prefer to do it yourself though.

SteveSteve2000

#13 Post by SteveSteve2000 »

im glad i found this thread...i am a fantasy baseball first-timer and was getting a little worried that points leagues were like my uncle dave...not "normal". i am in a points league (total bases, walks, ks, wins, loss, etc.)

would you (or anyone) be able to help with some info about how to alter the projections for my league?

thanks,
steve