Closers in 2012

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
sme1975
Major Leaguer

Closers in 2012

#1 Post by sme1975 »

Who are the potential closers in 2012 that may be obtained cheaply in this years auction. Guys like Thornton last year who were sitting behind a FA to be Bobby Jenks. One example could be Daniel Bard, with Papelbon's looming Free Agency. Every year there seem to be a few pitchers that can add real value to a fantasy team as a middle reliever, then also become nice keepers. Any other potential targets you can think of?

AllstonRockCity

Re: Closers in 2012

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Walden in ANA

McGee in TB, unless you don't count him cuz he figures to take that job at some point this year, if not at the beginning.

Bard in BOS as you mentioned.

With Bailey going to see Dr Andrews, you can throw a dart in OAK and maybe get this years closer for pennies on the dollar.

That's it, off the top of my head.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Gregerson
Motte
Madson
League (I like him for THIS year too)
Chapman
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

50 Desert Eagles

#4 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Meek or Hanaran might be worth watching as well. Word is if Bailey is out, Fuentas would take over.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Keep in mind he is looking for 2012 closers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by Bodhizefa »

Todd Zola wrote:Gregerson
Motte
Madson
Chapman
I like Mike Adams just as much as Gregerson in San Diego. I could see them doing a timeshare there if they really wanted. I also think Adams gets first shot.

As for League, I have never seen him look anything other than mediocre in high pressure situations (this is after watching him a bunch in both Toronto and in Seattle). League and Madson both have issues in pressure situations, in my opinion. If Josh Lueke breaks camp with the Mariners, he's the one to watch out for in 2012 for the M's. League will certainly get the first opportunity, but I think he's better suited in a 7th/8th inning role where his match-ups can be dictated a bit better. Lueke has some serious potential as a closer if the M's can overcome his off-the-field issues and actually decide to use him instead of let him rot in Triple-A.

Huge Motte fan. Ryan Franklin can only survive on smoke and mirrors for so long, right? Right?! And with McClellan getting a chance at starting, I think it's pretty clear that Motte is the preferred back-end guy for the Cards if he can make it happen. I like him a lot as a 2012 closer-in-waiting.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#7 Post by Kelly_Leak »

If Josh Lueke breaks camp with the Mariners, he's the one to watch out for in 2012 for the M's.
Noticed Delcarmen and Cortes both got reassigned yesterday. Lueke's chances of breaking camp with the M's appears to be much better. Definitely an arm to keep an eye on.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Bodhizefa wrote:
Motte
Madson
Chapman
I like Mike Adams just as much as Gregerson in San Diego. I could see them doing a timeshare there if they really wanted. I also think Adams gets first shot.

As for League, I have never seen him look anything other than mediocre in high pressure situations (this is after watching him a bunch in both Toronto and in Seattle). League and Madson both have issues in pressure situations, in my opinion. If Josh Lueke breaks camp with the Mariners, he's the one to watch out for in 2012 for the M's. League will certainly get the first opportunity, but I think he's better suited in a 7th/8th inning role where his match-ups can be dictated a bit better. Lueke has some serious potential as a closer if the M's can overcome his off-the-field issues and actually decide to use him instead of let him rot in Triple-A.

Huge Motte fan. Ryan Franklin can only survive on smoke and mirrors for so long, right? Right?! And with McClellan getting a chance at starting, I think it's pretty clear that Motte is the preferred back-end guy for the Cards if he can make it happen. I like him a lot as a 2012 closer-in-waiting.
For this season, maybe Adams, but I think we are going to see Gregerson take more and more of the 8th inning duty. It wouldn't shock me if Adams were dealt. He's on a 1-year deal and is 32. Gregerson is the future and I think the Padres prefer to pay on the cheap while piecing together the others, like they have always done.

I don't buy the mental stuff for League and Madson. I will say that League does not have dominating closer stuff, but I think in that park, he can get the job done. And with closing, it is not as much about talent as opportunity and I think he has the backinng of the brass with sufficient talent.

I'm also not as high on Lueke as some.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by Bodhizefa »

Todd Zola wrote: I don't buy the mental stuff for League
I buy it bigtime. I've seen him melt down too many times in the past to feel comfy at all with him as a closer. Maybe he ends up as a Lyon-like closer for a year, but his team controlled years end in 2012 for Seattle. And they won't pay him to close after that. I hope they'll be trying to find a long-term solution to the role if at all possible, and my interest in closers is also pertinent to H2H leagues (so I look for guys who have a good chance to finish out a season in a gig, too -- League wouldn't be a strong bet to do so for the M's in 2012 even if he gets the gig in my opinion).

As for Madson, well, I've seen him get limited opportunities to close before. He's never taken to it. He has a better chance than League at being solid in the long run, but I have my doubts.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#10 Post by SteveB »

Bodhizefa wrote:
Motte
Madson
Chapman

I see stl as great place to be speculative for 2012. I have heard a lot of love for Motte and a little less for Mitchell Boggs but have yet to see a mention of Edguardo Sanchez. I tabbed Sanchez as a potential a few years ago and have watched him mature at each level. Plus he has been picking up saves at each level. I know that with the Pujols attempted signing they will likely be cash strapped if they can keep pujols home. Motte is arbitration eligible in 2012 and I believe Boggs may be as well. I am not saying that Sanchez is the closer of the future just pointing out the Stl bullpen looks deep and has a lot of young potential.