Michael Pineda

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
50 Desert Eagles

Michael Pineda

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Deep league pickup? Stud? Dud?

The general assumption has been that Michael Pineda will be sent down to begin the season, regardless of his performance during spring training, in an effort to delay his service time. However, Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is hearing something quite different.

Multiple sources tell Baker that the fifth spot in the starting rotation is actually "Pineda's to lose." The 22-year-old right-hander has been the talk of M's camp thus far, posting a 2.57 ERA and 5/3 K/BB ratio over seven innings while touching the mid-to-high 90s on the radar gun.

Pineda's progression was stalled by a sore elbow in 2009, but he posted a 3.36 ERA over 25 starts between Double-A West Tennessee and Triple-A Tacoma last season, averaging 9.9 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9. He has 396 strikeouts over 404 1/3 minor league innings.

While Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik won't confirm Pineda's report -- which isn't surprising given that Luke French is still competing for the fifth starter job -- he did say that Pineda's service time won't impact his decision.

The Mariners' offense won't be much better than they were last season, so don't expect a ton of run support, but Safeco Field is a pretty nice place for a rookie pitcher to call home. Pineda is a must-own in AL-only leagues, but since he's never pitched more than 139 1/3 innings in a season, look for him to be shut down at some point

Captain Hook

Re: Michael Pineda

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Pineda is one of the top pitching prospects in the minor leagues. Look at how high I had him ranked in the long term ratings! And taking those top three for short term I would give Pineda the nod over the Royals Mike Montgomery because I though all along that he would be pitching in the majors before Montgomery.

Injuries and ineffectiveness may give him the fifth spot in the rotation in March - but he might have won it outright.

I do agree he may be capped at somewhere in the 150-175 innings rage....BUT he has a huge frame and still gaining force as a power pitcher, so that be tempered.

Pineda will make a great #2 SP to Felix as long as the Mariners can keep both - I would run not walk to get Pineda in AL keeper leagues.

50 Desert Eagles

#3 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Captain Hook wrote:
Pineda will make a great #2 SP to Felix as long as the Mariners can keep both - I would run not walk to get Pineda in AL keeper leagues.

What is your feeling on on his numbers for THIS season alone? 20 team mixed, I could pick him up and drop Schumaker or Kenley Jansen for him.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Rookies are a crapshoot, especially pitchers. His MLE are very strong, but that does not guarantee success. That said Schumaker and Jensen are not difference makers so if you can afford to burn the reserve spot, Pineda at least has the possibility of being a difference maker.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord