Davis or Youkilis

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Davis or Youkilis

#1 Post by viper »

This choice seems to come up in the early third round picks. I have been opting towards Davis as he has more power. The dollar difference is meaningless so it seems to be a even choice. The question is that Youkilis has shown he should get what he projects to while Davis is going into his second year. How concerned should you be over his inexperience. My basic philosophy is you need your fiorst four picks to reach their projections. I don't see upside in those tier 1 7 tier 2 players [at leats in my tiers]
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: Davis or Youkilis

#2 Post by aburt19 »

If the choice is between Youkilis and Davis, I would take Youkilis. Davis certainly has the power, but Youkilis has the BA
and is the "safer" choice. I am not confident that Youkilis will keep all of the power gains that he made last year. But I
worry about Davis hurting in the BA category. If Davis struggles too much, he could lose playing time with an OF gaining
DH AB and Blalock playing 1B.

I really don't like either in the first half of the third round, but think that in the latter part of the round it makes sense based
on the needs by position. Someone drafting 14th/15th that went OF in the first two rounds would certainly have to look at
a 1B late in the third round in order to keep from picking 4 OF in the first 4 picks because the other players worthy of the
late 3rd round picks tend to be OF from the mock drafts that I have seen.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

in my 15 team mock drafts, these guys are really the best available. I've gone both way and the other player always goes within 2-3 picks. I'm trying to avoid drafting just on a "best available" priority but every other tier two player is an OF at this point in all my mock draft. I have just about always started OF/OF with my #6 pick so I am trying to avoid another OF so early. Both these players are upper half of tier two players.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#4 Post by aburt19 »

In a couple of the 15 team drafts that I have participated in, Adrian Gonzalez has been available with the 6th pick in the
third round. I probably would prefer him if available because his power is more of an established fact than Youkilis and his BA is liable to
be better then Davis.

Again, it's all a guess. Value wise there's not much difference between the players. None have much upside for a thrid round
pick. About the best that you can hope for is to get value for the pick.