Mike Trumbo

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Mike Trumbo

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Trumbo is just killing the ball. He has 4 HR with 5 doubles and a slugging percentage of .900 or so. He's always been
considered a good prospect. It's thought that if Morales isn't ready to play the field to begin the season, Trumbo would
play first while Morales is the DH.

Is there a reasonable chance that he makes the club and sticks with he and Morales splitting the 1B/DH role for close to
full time AB and Abreu playing left field? That would hurt the OF defense and leave Bourjos as a fourth OF, but if Trumbo
keeps hitting he may force his way into the lineup.

deansdaddy

Re: Mike Trumbo

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

I think he does have a good chance to break camp with the big club, since they have to make sure Morales doesn't have any set backs. The Halos are in desperate need of more power in the lineup, so it is conceivable that if he hits he'll stick around. The only drawback could be that Trumbo is another right-handed stick in a lineup that already has too many of them. So, I just don't know how much value he will have long-term. He would seem to be a viable late round gamble at this point though.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 wrote:Trumbo is just killing the ball. He has 4 HR with 5 doubles and a slugging percentage of .900 or so. He's always been
considered a good prospect. It's thought that if Morales isn't ready to play the field to begin the season, Trumbo would
play first while Morales is the DH.

Is there a reasonable chance that he makes the club and sticks with he and Morales splitting the 1B/DH role for close to
full time AB and Abreu playing left field? That would hurt the OF defense and leave Bourjos as a fourth OF, but if Trumbo
keeps hitting he may force his way into the lineup.
"Trumbo is killing the ball" ...REALLY? It is spring training.
IF Morales is healthy there is no way Trumbo takes away at bats - Yes IF Morales is not 100% for opening day, maybe Trumbo makes the team and gets some AB - and then likely gets sent down.
Abreu is the full time DH

Trumbo IMO is a AAAA player.....maybe I am wrong, we shall see but for 2011 he doesn't get many AB if Kendrys is healthy

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

I think Perry is right here. It would seem the easiest path to more playing time for Trumbo would be if Peter Bourjos flops as an everyday player. I think the Angels may very well be just as willing to go with Kendrick at 1st base for a couple weeks if they have to. The other domino to watch with regards to Trumbo making the Opening Day Roster is Brandon Wood. Wood is out of options, so he can't be sent down again. Either the Halos trade him, cut him (where someone else would surely give him a shot) or they keep him on the roster to start the season. I don't see the Angels letting Wood get away for nothing at this point.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Keep in mind they also have Conger and may opt to give him some of those AB as well.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Also keep in mind we are not dealing with a normal manager here, we're dealing with Mike Scioscia.

Defense is king in Anaheim. Bourjos just needs to hit higher than .240, his defense will keep him on the field every day.

Which, I think further backs up Todd's point about Conger. His stick is ready for sure, its his D that stands between him and 400 ABs. They will keep him in the lineup on a semiregular basis, even if he can't play catcher this year, which squeezes Trumbo out even more.

Plus, as well know by now, I love Kendry and just know he will be fine.

Didn't Reed Johnson hit like 9HR in ST one year? How'd that work out?