Help! Roto man playing H2H for the first time

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
ravenmad

Help! Roto man playing H2H for the first time

#1 Post by ravenmad »

Any experienced H2H'ers out there? I just joined a 16 team mixed 5x5 league that plays h2h.

There is a weekly 21 inning minimum for pitchers, but am I right in assuming the best thing to do is load up on cheap closers and MR to win saves ERA and WHIP while kind of ignoring K's and wins on the pitching side?

On the hitting side, just load power bats and forget steals, correct?

Let me know if I'm oversimplifying this.

Good to be back, TIA!

50 Desert Eagles

Re: Help! Roto man playing H2H for the first time

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Wow, where to start...Rule #1, NEVER drop a catagory in a 5x5 league....Whatever league ur in, see if u can get some draft list or see the stats from the year before, that can tell you a lot about who/what to draft. There is data everywhere on 5x5 leagues, but remember, most data you see is based on someones projections/predictions/stupid ideas. The platnuim pack on here has some AWESOME spreadsheets on 5x5 for numourous size leagues. You will get some better responses though on your questions in here, but hope this helps. :ugeek:

ravenmad

#3 Post by ravenmad »

Well, I am familiar with the in's and out's of player valuation, etc. and agree that Todd's player projections are among the best. But from what I've heard, h2h is different from roto in terms of overall strategy. You don't need to be competitive in every category to win your weekly matchup, whereas in roto it's very difficult to win if you punt categories entirely. If you can almost guarantee a victory in BA, HR, RBI and Runs while punting steals you get 4 points each week. And if you can guarantee a win in ERA, WHIP, and Saves each week you get 3 more basically giving you a 7-3 victory each week, which is definitely enough to make the playoffs.

odysseus81

#4 Post by odysseus81 »

I play H2H leagues exclusively and I have found the best formula from a pitching standpoint is to make sure you have at least 2 starters that are high strikeout guys (need 3-4 "quality" starts per week) and load up on quality/K-type relievers (don't reach for them because there are always good options later in the draft). This should make that inning count very reachable every week and keep you competitive in every category.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

We posted a subscriber piece on H2H strategy last week.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ravenmad

#6 Post by ravenmad »

Thanks Todd... guess I'm definitely getting the platinum plan now!

Mickey4081

#7 Post by Mickey4081 »

One simple rule: Take advantage of double start pitchers. I wouldn't advise on scrapping any catergory. Build a well balanced team and hope your players for that particular week outperform your opponents. It is volatile, your team will explode one week and turn in a turd the following week.