Spring Training

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Spring Training

#1 Post by aburt19 »

There are several significant players who have either not played in a spring training game or have just started playing.
Joe Mauer-no date set for playing yet
Adrian Beltre-the Rangers say about a week
Justin Morneau-played one game and according to reports is scheduled to play every second or third day
Derek Lee-I don't think he's played in a game yet

There may be others that I don't recall just now.

My question is how important are ST games? As long as the player is getting BP, does it make any difference?
Is there a point where it is assumed that it make take a week or two in the season to get their timing down due to
playing too few games in ST?

AllstonRockCity

Re: Spring Training

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Most players in today's era will tell you that it means nothing. Just a nice excuse to play golf with your buddies and bag the local fauna.

50 years ago when these guys sold cars or insurance in the offseason, it was important. They needed to get back into shape. But, by and large, today's athlete stays in shape year round (its their job afterall) so apart from playing a few games to get your timing down, its pretty much useless.

Unless you are battling for a roster spot, then it matters.

deansdaddy

Re: Spring Training

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - it's more important for those fighting for roster spots for sure.