Manny Ramirez

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Manny Ramirez

#1 Post by aburt19 »

I don't know what to think about Ramirez. The Dodgers have made three different offers and Ramirez/Boras have turned
down all three. The Giants have been rumored to be interested in him, but an report on Rotoworld said that the Giants
GM had said that Ramirez was on the "back burner". The Dodgers appear to be getting tired of the situation with their
GM saying that once Ramirez got the offer from another team that Boras always says is out there, they will resume
negotiiations.

The question is what to do with Ramirez if drafting in the next week? Ramirez mentioned one time earlier not signing before
the season started and either sitting out the season or signing with a club after the season started. I would think that is
just a negotiating ploy, but with Manny, who knows? Even if Manny decides to sign after the season, it certainly affects
his value depending on when he signs.

cwk1963

Re: Manny Ramirez

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

It's all a ploy on Boras' part. There are no other offers out there. At least nothing anywhere close to what Boras is looking for. The 2 teams he needs in the bidding are out so he's behind the 8 ball. There's no way he's letting Manny sit out - he doesn't get his 3% then. All these years until now Boras has had the hammer. Now the tables are turned and they don't like it.

50 Desert Eagles

#3 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I agree, but there has been 4 offers now....He will bend I think....problem is...how soon....same boat for me...I would love to snag Manny in the pick 51 if he makes it...but he COULD be a risk, but his upside is well Mannyisque

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

cwk1963 wrote:It's all a ploy on Boras' part. There are no other offers out there. At least nothing anywhere close to what Boras is looking for. The 2 teams he needs in the bidding are out so he's behind the 8 ball. There's no way he's letting Manny sit out - he doesn't get his 3% then. All these years until now Boras has had the hammer. Now the tables are turned and they don't like it.
Interesting concept. Couple of points; Believe it or not, Scott Boras has yet to make a dime from Manny Ramirez. Another point - although MLBPA recommends 4% as an agent's commission, there is absolutly nothing to prevent the player and agent to negotiate their own rate - which could be significantly higher than 4%. Boras may be singing for his supper here - because when Manny signs, he owes Boras the money right then and there. A backloaded contract may mean Manny has to dip into his account for a lot more than he wants to.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
cwk1963 wrote:It's all a ploy on Boras' part. There are no other offers out there. At least nothing anywhere close to what Boras is looking for. The 2 teams he needs in the bidding are out so he's behind the 8 ball. There's no way he's letting Manny sit out - he doesn't get his 3% then. All these years until now Boras has had the hammer. Now the tables are turned and they don't like it.
Interesting concept. Couple of points; Believe it or not, Scott Boras has yet to make a dime from Manny Ramirez. Another point - although MLBPA recommends 4% as an agent's commission, there is absolutly nothing to prevent the player and agent to negotiate their own rate - which could be significantly higher than 4%. Boras may be singing for his supper here - because when Manny signs, he owes Boras the money right then and there. A backloaded contract may mean Manny has to dip into his account for a lot more than he wants to.
Nice thought. Most don't actually consider the business side of contracts. Your tidbit sounds perfectly rational and one of the reasons that everything isnt what it seems..

ravenmad

#6 Post by ravenmad »

IMO no way Manny sits out the season or any part of it. He's getting up there in age and wants to reach lofty career totals by the time he retires so I would imagine if it gets too close to the start he'll pressure Boras into accepting a deal. I'd draft him as if I was sure he will be on the field on opening day with a little discount because everyone else is worried he won't be.

50 Desert Eagles

#7 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I have a draft tomorrow, should manny be drafted later???? Anyones thoughts on that????? PLEASE!!!! :D

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Personally, I'd let someone else worry about it for a while. Eventually, he might still be there and you'll just have to take him. Only you know when that is however, everyone's ability to tolerate risk is different.

Hambowen

#9 Post by Hambowen »

If he falls significantly below value then I would jump all over him in leagues drafting now. He is going to play for dodgers on opening day. Anyone who gets him at good value now will have a nice advantage.

Manny being Manny does not just mean strange antics. It means huge production.

Hambowen

#10 Post by Hambowen »

Latest news is that 2 year $45million is pretty much agreed. Only hold up is that there is deferred money. Take away that deferred money and Boras said the deal is done.

No way deferred money will kill this deal. Draft Manny based on full season production.

Tig

#11 Post by Tig »

my 20 team draft starts monday,the 9th. If he's signed, he'll be gone in the 2nd rd. If he isnt signed by then, and is still available, I take a stab at him in the 4th or 5th rd.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#12 Post by viper »

my money says he is gone before the 40th pick regardless
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Tig

#13 Post by Tig »

i concur.

definitely not expecting him to be there in the 4th, but if so, he wont go any further.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#14 Post by brooklyn49 »

for better or worse, he's a Dodger!
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#15 Post by viper »

the great american nightmare is over
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer