AL-only Keeper Options

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

AL-only Keeper Options

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

10 team AL-only - 6 keepers max.
There are 2 options to keeping a player; first you extend the player 5 units and have the option to keep him next year, OR you "one and out" the player by keeping at the same price as last year but he cannot be kept the following year. I have listed both prices for every player.

I am currently projecting hitter inflation to be about 21% whereas pitching is at 8%.

Definites (duh)
M. Cabrera $10/$15
J. Hamilton $10/$15
C. Quentin $3/$8

Strong Candidates
J. Shields $12/$17
B. Roberts $14/$19
F. Francisco $1/$6
J. Devine $2/$7
J. Duchscherer $2/$7

Other Possibilities
J. Clement $1/$6
R. Cano $15/$20
A. Gordon $10/$15
K. Slowey $8/$13
S. Baker $5/$10
J. Danks $3/$8

I am leaning toward Miggy $15, Hamilton $15, Quentin $8, Shields $12, Roberts $14, and Francisco $6. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but feel free to simply rank your top 6 without explanation. Thank you in advance.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Hambowen

Re: AL-only Keeper Options

#2 Post by Hambowen »

I think you have it right for the most part. Francisco is probably not as good a value as Duchsherer but if you feel you cannot get saves in the draft then I would go with Francisco. If you think there will be some saves available then go with Duchsherer.

cwk1963

#3 Post by cwk1963 »

I like Duchscherer as well as Clement. But I don't see 2 guys you leave off your list. I agree with the Francisco comment but if you wind up keeping him make sure you handcuff him with Wilson or you could wind up wasting the keeper spot.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I concur. I think you have it right with your top 6. Ducsh has had an injury history, he's coming off hip surgery no less ...as I said in another thread, I want to see Ducsh first - for a while ...and even then I would have some trepidations.

I must also add one comment ...you have a very interesting league there. All of those big names - and the highest price on any of them is Cano.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thank you to all. I am a bit worried about Duch and his injuries and since our deadline is not until March 30th I have an opportunity to atleast monitor him this spring. I'm definitely not sold on Francisco...I like Devine and Clement a good deal too, but both have their own question marks.

Kid- The league is actually pretty normal when it comes to auction salaries. First, recall that there were rumors of Roberts going to the Cubs at this time last year and since this is AL only there was some risk in drafting him. Second, there were plenty of questions about Quentin, Duch, etc. coming into last year. Third, Shields, Gordon, Cabrera, Hamilton, and Cano were all keepers last year. And fourth, we have an odd rule about players that are traded from the AL to NL (which I have been opposed to in years past but no one likes anything I have proposed - heh it has mostly only helped me). Basically, a year ago I had Andrew Miller and Edison Volquez both for 1 unit. Miller was traded for Miggy and Volquez for Hamilton, since I owned both I got them at an average salary of the traded AL player (both 1 unit) and an assumed NL player value of 10 units (always rounding down). (1+10)/2=5.5 and therefore I had the option to keep Hamilton and Cabrera at last year's keeper deadline for either $5 or $10. Sometimes this is great and sometimes it stinks. I also had Sabathia last year, which netted me an 18 unit Matt LaPorta, good prospect, but definitely unkeepable at that price.
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Now THAT was enlightening. I hadn't noticed they were all from the NL in 2007. Thanks for the edification, Kelly.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#7 Post by CubFan »

With Duch now experiencing elbow pain and likely missing his opening day start he is best left off any further consideration. Someone to keep an eye on and even consider for your 6th spot is Baker. I'm currently debating over him for $6, Devine at $3 and Youkilis $17 for my 6th spot in my AL only keeper league.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by Kelly_Leak »

CubFan wrote:With Duch now experiencing elbow pain and likely missing his opening day start he is best left off any further consideration. Someone to keep an eye on and even consider for your 6th spot is Baker. I'm currently debating over him for $6, Devine at $3 and Youkilis $17 for my 6th spot in my AL only keeper league.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Kelly_Leak wrote:10 team AL-only - 6 keepers max.
There are 2 options to keeping a player; first you extend the player 5 units and have the option to keep him next year, OR you "one and out" the player by keeping at the same price as last year but he cannot be kept the following year. I have listed both prices for every player.

I am currently projecting hitter inflation to be about 21% whereas pitching is at 8%.

Definites (duh)
M. Cabrera $10/$15
J. Hamilton $10/$15
C. Quentin $3/$8

Strong Candidates
J. Shields $12/$17
B. Roberts $14/$19
F. Francisco $1/$6
J. Devine $2/$7
J. Duchscherer $2/$7

Other Possibilities
J. Clement $1/$6
R. Cano $15/$20
A. Gordon $10/$15
K. Slowey $8/$13
S. Baker $5/$10
J. Danks $3/$8

I am leaning toward Miggy $15, Hamilton $15, Quentin $8, Shields $12, Roberts $14, and Francisco $6. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but feel free to simply rank your top 6 without explanation. Thank you in advance.
Okay keepers are due tonight! I am set with Miggy, Hamilton, Quentin, J.Shields, and B.Roberts. I can't make up my mind on the 6th. I have narrowed my focus to (in no particular order):
1. F. Francisco ($1/$6) - cheap saves (saves generally go for right around projected value).
2. K. Slowey ($8/$13) - would be pairing him with Shields and then targeting Nathan or Rivera (Paps and Soria are being kept).
3. J. Danks ($3/$8) - would attempt a similar plan as with Slowey above.

If I where to rank them according to projected profit potential they would rank Francisco, Danks, Slowey.

Francisco concerns me because he doesn't have the track record of closing for a whole season plus he is in Texas. Danks and Slowey only have one full season under their belts, but they were fairly consistent throughout the coarse of last season. My concern with Danks is his ballpark and my concern with Slowey is the number of HRs he gave up.

I am currently leaning toward keeping Slowey, but would really appreciate any and all opinions.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

I think I would go Francisco to lock up 25-35 saves at a reasonable cost - unless you are sure you can get someone "better" for $20 or so, "better" being Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Soria, Fuentes and Wood. Jenks and Ryan are questions for me and Fuentes is close.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#11 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thanks! As you can see from my original post I was always leaning towards Frank. Now I'm talking myself out of it.

I guess I could also mention I project the following pitchers to be kept:
- Papelbon
- Soria
- Jenks
- Ziegler
- Beckett
- Lackey
- E.Santana
- Liriano
- Purcey
- Wang
- Verlander
- Escobar
- Cliff Lee
- D.Price
- Chamberlain
- Carmona
- Galarraga
- Lester
- Floyd
- Scott Lewis
- Cahill
- Saunders

#12 Post by Guest »

I appreciate the challenge in this one.

I suppose the way I evaluate it is that both SP and RP are a fairly scarce resource in an AL league.

CL will cost as much or more than top SP in your league. You have an offense built to win. I roster the saves.

If you insist on a starter, go Slowey.