Should I do it.

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
carchr6

Should I do it.

#1 Post by carchr6 »

I have been offered Neil Walker 10/2012 Joel Hanrahan 82012 and Chris Carpenter 11/2011 fo Jose Reyes 30/2012. Should I do this? Also should I kee Kyle Blanks for 5?
Rest of team :
Barajas 9
Ruiz 4
K Johnson 11
Heyward 5
Stubbs 15
Tulowitzki 40
Blanks 5
J. Johnson 12
T. Hudson 6
H Bell 30
C Richard 1
B Enright 7

deansdaddy

Re: Should I do it.

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Can you give us a little more info on your league?

First off - forget Kyle Blanks - not worth keeping at that price for this season. If you like him - I bet you could get him back for $1 in your auction or even as a reserve pick.

My first reaction is you don't need to do this trade since you already have a better option than Walker at 2B in Kelly Johnson. I also am not a huge fan of Carpenter - he's a good pitcher don't get me wrong - but he still could break down again at any time. I look at him as an SP 3 and I wouldn't deal Reyes for less than an SP2 in return, or a cheap young SP who I could keep for the next few years (ie: Hellickson/D Hudson/Latos). Hanrahan looks like he will close out games to start the year - but Meek looms and he'll be given the reins when the Pirates inevitably fall out of the race and look to deal veterans away again.

I think Reyes is definitely a guy you should look to deal - but I think you need to look for a nice straight up deal where you get a comparable hitter or pitcher in return. You need a 1B/3B and those would be the positions I would look to bolster/fill in any Reyes trade.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: Should I do it.

#3 Post by SteveB »

I agree on Banks. I drafted him early in a league that drafted right around New Years. It was as a last round fill in figuring he would have some nice upside.
However you have to keep in mind that since then Padres have signed Hawpe (to play OF/1B) and Cantu (to play 1b/3b) I just honetsly don't see Banks getting enough AB's
to have any value this year. In addition he is coming off Tommy John surgery so his health as we get started is a huge question mark.

If you see something during ST then pick him up at end of the draft during dollar days but as of right now he nothing more than a reserve in a deep league.