Kinsler to lead off for Rangers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Kinsler to lead off for Rangers

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

So Ron Washington has confirmed that Ian Kinsler will be his leadoff hitter this season. This is a new development and will guarantee Kinsler more AB's (if he stays healthy) and a better chance to rack up SB's and counting stats. It looks like for now Andrus will be sliding to the 2nd spot with Michael Young dropping down to 6th. I don't love the idea of Andrus in the 2 hole, but I guess the alternative is Julio Borbon who is currently looking like the 9th place hitter.

In any case this move brings us a few questions to ponder now:

-What do you think this does to Kinsler's value for this season?

-Is this news enough to move him up a notch in your rankings, perhaps jumping ahead of Dustin Pedroia?

-Will the increase in AB's and possibly more SB attempts increase his already existing injury risk?

Something for us to debate here so tell me what you think.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Kinsler to lead off for Rangers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I read the tea leaves a month ago and made the adjustment for our Platinum projections, which is making us fairly aggressive in our projection.

I suspect I am going to invested in Kinsler this spring.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#3 Post by aburt19 »

I hate to say this, but Kinslers value has always been held back because of injury, not because of where he hits in the
lineup. I think that I will pass unless there is an injury discount. Maybe this will be the year that he stays injury free, but
I wouldn't want to pay full price to find out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Full price is a first round pick.

My admittedly aggressive playing time is 85%. His ranking is between 25 and 30, depending on how many pitchers are drafted early. That's early 3rd in a 12-team mixed, late 2nd in 15-team mixed.

His ADP is 57, which allows for some decent wriggle room, which is why I suspect I will own him. If I miss on Kinsler, there will still be the fallback of Phillips and Weeks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#5 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Full price is a first round pick.

My admittedly aggressive playing time is 85%. His ranking is between 25 and 30, depending on how many pitchers are drafted early. That's early 3rd in a 12-team mixed, late 2nd in 15-team mixed.

His ADP is 57, which allows for some decent wriggle room, which is why I suspect I will own him. If I miss on Kinsler, there will still be the fallback of Phillips and Weeks.
I play AL only auction. The current projections show him for 573 AB. In the last five years, he's never had 573 AB and only
two years over 500. Some will pay full price for something close to that amount of playing time. Since I won't count on
him for more than 500 AB, I won't end up with him. If I would happen to get very lucky and get him for my discounted
price, then I'll be happy to have the chance for upside.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Full price is a first round pick.

I play AL only auction. The current projections show him for 573 AB. In the last five years, he's never had 573 AB and only
two years over 500. Some will pay full price for something close to that amount of playing time. Since I won't count on
him for more than 500 AB, I won't end up with him. If I would happen to get very lucky and get him for my discounted
price, then I'll be happy to have the chance for upside.
Understood. Just for reference, the difference between 85% playing time leading off and batting 6th is 73 plate appearances.

85% playing time is 138 games, which he has admittedly only reached once, but it does help put the difference in PA in perspective just a little.

It all comes down to risk reward and how we help mitigate some of the risk. Getting him at an injury discount is one way. Having multi position players or a decent 2B as your utility might be another.

I think the thing that has me "onto" Kinsler is the potential for both playing time and skills upside, which adds to the reward side of the equation.

On the flip side is Kinsler plays a position where you do not have to reach for value, at some point it will fall in your lap.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'm in AL only auction and he just never goes for that injury discount because all it takes is two guys with Todd's view to jack it right back up. I saw him play on Sunday and he made a great stab at second, than got up and grabbed his knee, rubbed it for a bit and came out of the game a couple of innings later as he normally would.

The thought that crossed my mind watching him get up? "Oh god, he's hurt already!" I don't think at the price you're going to have to pay it'll be there. I'd rather roster Hill or Roberts for the savings and same sort of injury risk/ reward.