Note to Self: RESIST THE BEDARD!!

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Note to Self: RESIST THE BEDARD!!

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Well Erik Bedard pitched today and tossed a 9 pitch (8 strikes) 1-2-3 first inning.

Reportedly his curveball was nasty. Bedard himself was quoted as saying "This is probably the best inning I've ever had in Spring Training history"

All we can do is watch now, but anyone who took a chance on him can enjoy the first step of the Spring for their late round gamble.

Trav The Ump

Re: Note to Self: RESIST THE BEDARD!!

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

Or if you were in some crazy "sping training league" ride the wave to the title! *Or he'll get hurt and cost you all spring training! :o

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by SteveB »

LOL I am still in the euphoria of last season. I read that as RESIST THE BEARD and I was thinking "silly Ryan that is not how it goes"

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Bedard continue to impress this spring as he held the Angels to one run on three hits and a walk over 2 2/3 innings Thursday.
The southpaw struck out a pair. Bedard has now allowed just the one run over 5 2/3 innings this spring while striking out eight.

bahamamike

#5 Post by bahamamike »

i will say this...its spring training, don't overreact

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Note the title of the thread Mike - this is more tounge in cheek than serious.

But with every positive outing, there will be more people who will be willing to give him a shot again this year

bahamamike

#7 Post by bahamamike »

Giving you a hard time. But with Bedard, we know he has the skills, just can he stay healthy. So this is actually encouraging news.

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

Yep - he's in that group of lottery tickets with Webb, Peavy, Johann, Duchsherer etc.

He's killed me before so I know going in I am going to have to resist the urge to draft him again. If he keeps this up, it is likely I'll take a shot late somewhere.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by Bodhizefa »

I'd put the over/under on innings at 80 at this point. And I'd take the over, but not by much.

I love him as a pseudo MR (meaning I'd look to him for MR-type innings -- 80-100) with a better chance at Wins than Saves (unlike most MR's). If you are in daily leagues and can DL him and replace him with an MR when he's not healthy, I think he's a very worthwhile investment.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.