Just completed WCOFB $150 draft master 50 rounder

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
southpaw

Just completed WCOFB $150 draft master 50 rounder

#1 Post by southpaw »

Draft master league. 50 rounds. No FAAB. No trades.
What do you think??
I drafted from the 10 spot. 14 team league

1.10 Cano 2b
2.04 Teixeira 1b
3.10 Bautista 3b (probably a reach but this was it for this tier)
4.04 C. Lee SP
5.10 Andrus SS
6.04 Haren SP
7.10 D. Young OF
8.04 H. Bell RP (closer run had started)
9.10 Napoli C
10.04 B. Anderson SP
11.10 G. Sizemore OF
12.04 F. Cordero RP
13.10 J. Bay OF
14.04 Lind U (should get 1b/CI eligibility)
15.10 J. Chacin SP
16.04 S. Rodriguez 2b
17.10 R. Raburn OF
18.04 J. Zimmermann SP
19.10 T. Stauffer SP
20.04 K. Uehara RP
21.10 J. Jaso C (solid 2nd catcher)
22.04 R. Brignac SS
23.10 W. Venable OF
24.04 D. Freese 3b
25.10 R. Wells SP
26.04 L. Gregerson RP
27.10 D. Murphy OF
28.04 J. Lucroy C
29.10 J. Hammel SP
30.04 B. Morel 3b
31.10 J. Santana SP (31st round risk/reward)
32.04 B. Wallace 1b
33.10 B. Fuentes RP
34.04 F. Lewis OF
35.10 S. Downs RP
36.04 D. Ross C
37.10 Y Maya SP
38.04 M. Trout OF
39.10 J. Cust U
40.04 D. McDonald OF
41.10 B. Parnell RP
42.04 N. Figueroa SP/RP
43.10 M. Parra SP
44.04 S. Mitre SP/RP
45.10 C. Dickerson OF
46.04 C. Coleman SP
47.10 C. Izturis SS
48.04 C. Patterson OF
49.10 J. Turner SP
50.04 W. Nieves C

So my strategy going in was to try to build the infield, get a real good SP or two and then look for value. I think I did a good job mixing in some prospects in the later rounds and getting Johan that late may pay off in August and Sept if I'm contending. My OF is definitely the biggest question mark. I'm counting on two guys coming back strong from injuries if I'm to have any chance.
What do think are my strengths and weaknesses?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Just completed WCOFB $150 draft master 50 rounder

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not a fan of Sizemore or Trout in this format, roster spots are gold.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

This was my first time doing this type of draft so the feedback is appreciated.
How far down the roster do you usually end up digging over the course of the season?
I figured by 38th round, why not take a flyer on him and hope he gets called up mid-season.

As far as Sizemore goes, that one was a reluctant pick for reasons everyone knows. He could be the key to whether I'm successful or not.

So I just started a new one of these over at NFBC. Should I play it more safe with some of those risk/reward picks?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

How far down depends on your "luck", but without the chance to pick up new players, I don't look at it as "38th round" but one of 50 opportunities to acquire an asset.

I just don't see Trout playing this season. I know he is all the rage, but he can barely vote and he can't drink (at least legally) yet.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

southpaw

#5 Post by southpaw »

Good way to look at it.
I'll keep that in mind as I progress through this new one.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Admittedly a quick glance southpaw, but I don't think you have ENOUGH pitching.
It looks like you have about 20 pitchers -not near enough to get you through the entire season when you are playing ten.
Also some of your younger pitchers are very large question marks about whether they will get call up at all and a September callup will help then but only give you a few starts.

Don't feel bad - I saw a lot of veteran players make the same mistake in an earlier WCOFB draftmaster satellite.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#7 Post by Black Sox »

It's hard to judge since I can't see who WAS avaialble when you picked, but you just have a lot of players that I'm avoiding for one reason or another. I think 2B is DEEP so I wouldn't want Cano with my first round pick. I don't know if either was avaiable but I'd have targeted Longoria/Wright with that 1st pick, if not them than an 1B or OF. I mean your #1 OF is D. Young. G.Sizemore is a wasted pick. Also I would have chosen either Lee or Haren, not both ( although for me if SP was going that high I would have grabbed 2/3 from the next tier and fortified my hitting earlier)

Just my opinion and again without being able to see who was avaialble when you picked I can only go by who I like and don't like.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

southpaw

#8 Post by southpaw »

Captain Hook wrote:Admittedly a quick glance southpaw, but I don't think you have ENOUGH pitching.
It looks like you have about 20 pitchers -not near enough to get you through the entire season when you are playing ten.
Also some of your younger pitchers are very large question marks about whether they will get call up at all and a September callup will help then but only give you a few starts.

Don't feel bad - I saw a lot of veteran players make the same mistake in an earlier WCOFB draftmaster satellite.
This was probably the hardest part for me. Trying to find the pitching/hitting balance. I had no idea if 20 pitchers would be enough. I probably should have gotten at least 2-3 more to try and get a 50/50 balance.

southpaw

#9 Post by southpaw »

Black Sox wrote:It's hard to judge since I can't see who WAS avaialble when you picked, but you just have a lot of players that I'm avoiding for one reason or another. I think 2B is DEEP so I wouldn't want Cano with my first round pick. I don't know if either was avaiable but I'd have targeted Longoria/Wright with that 1st pick, if not them than an 1B or OF. I mean your #1 OF is D. Young. G.Sizemore is a wasted pick. Also I would have chosen either Lee or Haren, not both ( although for me if SP was going that high I would have grabbed 2/3 from the next tier and fortified my hitting earlier)

Just my opinion and again without being able to see who was avaialble when you picked I can only go by who I like and don't like.
I get what you are saying and I agree about Cano. After picking him, I kind of regretted it for the same reason you stated. Both Longo/Wright were gone but A-Gon was there and I probably should have taken him.
As far as Delmon goes, I was going to take an OF with that 6th round pick but Haren was staring me in the face and I couldn't pass up an SP1 at my SP2 spot. I knew then I could wait an extra round to get SP3. Plus there were still some good OF's on the board at that spot so I totally thought at least one would be there in round 7. Victorino, Hart, Stubbs, Rasmus, Granderson and Stanton were all still on the board and every one of them was taken between my 6.04 and 7.10. All that was left was Delmon, Gardner, Zobrist, Markakis, etc. when it got to me. So I got a little unlucky there.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:Admittedly a quick glance southpaw, but I don't think you have ENOUGH pitching.

This was probably the hardest part for me. Trying to find the pitching/hitting balance. I had no idea if 20 pitchers would be enough. I probably should have gotten at least 2-3 more to try and get a 50/50 balance.
Well personally (and yes others would argue about it) I would want a least a 50/50 split, so twenty five hitters and twenty five pitchers. I don't have a problem with an Andrew Oliver type (although current Tiger thinking seems to be he is unlikely to make an appearance in 2010 but of course those things change when the "lights are on")....BUT each minor league pitcher you are hoping gets called up before September this year is one less Major League pitcher you have on your roster at least starting the season.

In the first of those, I felt my hitters were very good and I had lots of upcoming position flexibility (Scott soon qualifying in the OF and Hawpe adding 1B eligibility after two weeks) that I ended up with a 23/27 split (and yes two of my pitchers maybe be longshots to get enough innings before September but again I felt I had and advantage on my competitors)

AND there is nothing wrong and a ton of positives for taking Cano at 1.10 - that is how I started my draft :D