Joe Mauer's Knee

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Joe Mauer's Knee

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Reports say that Mauer is getting injections to lubricate his knee. Given that he hasn't played any games yet and
needs injections to lubricate the knee, I'm not getting a good feeling about his chances of staying healthy this season.
If he needs injections now, I don't think it's going to get a lot better once he starts catching regularly.
Unless he comes at a discount in the auction, which isn't likely, I think I'll pass on him.

deansdaddy

Re: Joe Mauer's Knee

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Mauer is coming off his second surgery this past off-season. His first surgery was in 2004 for a meniscus tear. This latest surgery was reportedly a routine cleanup for discomfort with the Plica Band. Here is some info I found on the plica band syndrome.

http://www.kneeandshouldersurgery.com/k ... drome.html

So it would appear that the injections are a normal course of treatment for the surgery that Mauer had which took place in December. I'm not saying that this isn't cause for concern, but I personally don't think it will hinder him at the plate this year. He may have to take more days off from behind the plate eventually - but as a person who understand a little about managing an injured knee (I tore my meniscus about a year ago) this is not that big a deal to me. However, I guess we have no choice but to keep an eye on Mauer now. That said if fear causes Mauer to slip down a round or two- I'll likely be taking advantage of that discount as well.