Can you make a case for King Felix

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
maxdad007

Can you make a case for King Felix

#1 Post by maxdad007 »

I can keep 3 for my H2H points league.
The scoring system can be seen here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440

This is how I have them ranked but Felix probably has to have way better support this year since it was so historically bad last year. I also have offered the team with Pujols Greinke and either Braun or Wright too.

So the questions are - Do I stand pat, who would you rather move for Pujols and should I take Felix over one of the position players?

T Tulowitzki
R Braun
D Wright
F Hernandez
Z Greinke
C Kershaw

Captain Hook

Re: Can you make a case for King Felix

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

maxdad007 wrote:I can keep 3 for my H2H points league.
The scoring system can be seen here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440

This is how I have them ranked but Felix probably has to have way better support this year since it was so historically bad last year. I also have offered the team with Pujols Greinke and either Braun or Wright too.

So the questions are - Do I stand pat, who would you rather move for Pujols and should I take Felix over one of the position players?

T Tulowitzki
R Braun
D Wright
F Hernandez
Z Greinke
C Kershaw
1) I think your ranking is correct

2) This screams for a trade - if you are trading Wright and any one or even two of the others for Pujols, you should be doing it to keep Pujols, Tulo, and Braun
You might also be able to trade say Greinke and Wright for X and then X and Kershaw for Pujols (or anyone better than Wright)

3) I would keep the three hitters (now or after a trade) before I kept any of the pitchers although clearly Felix is the best of the pitchers.

Mickey4081

#3 Post by Mickey4081 »

No, I can't make a case for keeping ANY pitcher over those elite hitters you have. I suppose it can't hurt to try and pry Pujols away from the owner but I'd feel pretty good going into the draft with those three.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

maxdad007 wrote:... Felix probably has to have way better support this year since it was so historically bad last year.
I present to you, the 2011 Seattle Mariners;

RF Ichiro Suzuki
3B Chone Figgins
CF Franklin Gutierrez
DH Jack Cust
1B Justin Smoak
C Miguel Olivo
LF Michael Saunders
SS Jack Wilson
2B Brendan Ryan

There's one guy who can hit the ball out with any consistency without the use a a fungo bat. Yes ...believe it or not, it COULD get worse for the King. I think Perry's idea is a good one and it bears investigating. EDIT: However - a few smart people on this forum have stated on numerous occasions that chasing wins is a bad idea due to volatility and unpredictability. So Felix is pretty much likely to stay Felix overall ...but if you're counting on his win totals going up as part of your rationale for keeping him? Don't.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

maxdad007

#5 Post by maxdad007 »

So would the consensus be that Braun has more value then Wright, even with 3B being as shallow as it is?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

There is an upside to being on the outs for a shallow position. The guy who has addressed his need had better ensure that he did well in other places and that his competitive advantage at a position doesn't get consumed by other positions coming up short. On the other hand, many of your competitors will be in the same boat and will be looking to compensate for this as well. In my NL only, I could live very well with Braun instead of Wright. The Brewers are building ... I have NO idea what the Mets are doing.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#7 Post by Black Sox »

IMO - Without keeper consideration I'd rather have Wright than Braun. I think the numbers will be about equal ( Braun will prob have the higher BA ), and if that's the case I go for the shallower position. All this goes out the window if you think he goes back to producing like it's 2009, but I don't like what the outliers say, and wouldn't bank on it.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

maxdad007

#8 Post by maxdad007 »

Well my Pujols offer was declined so I have reserved my self to the fact that I will have 3 very good keepers. I am hoping that Felix drops to me at #9.

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

maxdad007 wrote:Well my Pujols offer was declined so I have reserved my self to the fact that I will have 3 very good keepers. I am hoping that Felix drops to me at #9.

Well, you can take solace in the fact that you are 're-stocking the pool' (tossing back Felix, Grienke and Kershaw) so to speak, so you should have good results when you go fishing.

You just need 7 other players dropped back into the pool that are better than Kershaw to guarantee you come away with, at worst, Grienke. Not the worst spot to be in.