Never too early

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Never too early

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I have the 1st pick in my AL only 4x4 auction/draft keeper league in 2011. Right now, I have it narrowed down to 2 names - Jordan Walden or Michael Pineda (I have Chisenhall so Godert doesn't figure in). Most of the familiar names are already gone (Moustakis, Ackley, Hicks, Taylor, Hosmer, Drabek, Montgomery, Perez, Trout, etc.). I'm leaning heavily towards Pineda - I don't see a spectacular bat available. Am I missing someone - I know the risk is there that names already spoken for may be mentioned - but it never hurts to ask (I.E., All of Lawr's Names for 2011 are spoken for).
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Never too early

#2 Post by viper »

deleted
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Personally, I have always treated farm players more as trading chips than foundational players for my squad, so sometimes I give a little extra consideration to name value. Of course, that doesn't help much in this instance.

There are some rumblings that Walden may be converted to a closer. That may have some trade value depending on your league.

Pineda is a guy that could make an impact as soon as 2011, though maybe not breaking camp with the club.

I know the point of this question was for other names, but to me, the potential of Walden closing would shape my decision of Walden vs. Pineda. The choice would reflect which I thought would fetch more in a deal to help me with next season.

With respect to other names, sorry, at this point I am not the one to ask. But I am heading to the FL in early November and may pick up a nugget or two.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

That is not an aspect that should be ignored, Todd. Last year we traded Alvarez, Tabata, Todd Frazier and Dominic Brown so worth is a relative term to us that does not necessarily translate into production simply for us - potential as a bargaining chip is a major factor. Put simply, my father is our NL team GM - he just celebrated his 86th birthday - I don't think he's interested in trading FOR Bryce Harper.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

OK ... I get screwed .... since both Pineda and Walden made the team, they don't qualify. Soooo ...(and yes Wolfie, I may be tipping my hand here) .... the next best choice to have some sort of impact this season (which wasn't the original criteria) seems to be our old friend (owned at one time by both Wolfie and myself) Lorenzo Cain in KC. Ours is a tough league - Japanese, Canadian, college, high school - they all get scoured for talent, so most of the usual suspects are spoken for (put politely, the only ones of Perry's top 20 AL prospects available are Machado, Wil Myers and Knapp).

Is there anyone I should be looking at that I haven't as of yet?

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Lawrie in TOR is probably gone, right?

How about Kipnis in CLE, Segura in ANA, Banuelos in NY has to be gone right?? Weglarz in CLE, while not the studliest guy, should be an everyday player next year.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Manny is gone, but Lawrie is still there because he came over from the NL last year. He's a consideration - Kipnis is available but I don't think a middle IF is worth a 10 unit salary unproven on a team like the Tribe. As for Weglarz? I can't see him unless Pronk gets moved because I don't believe Cleveland would move him ahead of Brantley without giving him a real chance first. So, one of those guys has to be the DH first - or someone is willing to take Sizemore.

Edit; The reason I'm thinking Cain is that if and when he gets called up, there will be a job waiting for him and that Melky would have played back to form. it's why I rate him a tad over Lawrie right now.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Tyler Chatwood seems to be on the fast track.

Is Britton available? It may be a loophole, I don't know, but he was originally sent down then recalled on Friday. I don't know if this makes him on the official opening day roster or not. The season started Thursday, but the Orioles opened Friday. He was in the minors when the season started, but on the O's for their first game.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Ole Zack was kept ...but I'll look into Chatwood - thanks Todd.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

Unless you want a pitcher kid (in which case you should be looking at KC - Montgomery or Lamb, or if you need the help this year the play is Manny Banuelos, NYY who definitely would not have been rostered previously)

Absent that the best hitter of those you list is Will Myers, KC
that assumes that Moustakas and Hosmer are already rostered
Moustakas of the three is the one most likely to get an earlier call this year.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Thanks, Perry ... Monty, Manny and Moose are all spoken for, as is Hosmer. I've read good things about John Lamb and I know about Myers - but I thought Mauer was overvalued his first two years in our league at 10. Normally, I would look at having the first pick as a bargaining chip for a player to trade down the line (such as with Pineda or Walden). But at 10 units, it's tough to think about Lamb being the best player out there and getting trade value there, or a guy like Myers who I am pretty sure will produce in the long run ... but not in the short term. Add to that a 10 unit price tag and I'd have to pass.

I guess I kinda feel like a NFL team at the draft - with the first pick, you don't want to blow it. I would have risked it on Walden or Pineda - but on a guy who isn't even the top prospect in his own organization? That one gives me pause.

Thanks for all the advice, guys ...a lot food of for thought.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Maybe the play is to go with Machado and find the guy in your league that loves the next big thing.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:Maybe the play is to go with Machado and find the guy in your league that loves the next big thing.
Nope ... can't make that play ... not for a 19 year old who hasn't played A ball yet. I'd be afraid I'd get stuck with him.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Interesting. Almost every league has the contingent that likes to show the rest they subscribe to Baseball America. It is almost refreshing to learn that some still understand what the spect in prospect means.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Ole Zack was kept ...but I'll look into Chatwood - thanks Todd.
I didn't expect the track to be THIS fast....

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:Ole Zack was kept ...but I'll look into Chatwood - thanks Todd.
I didn't expect the track to be THIS fast....
But the REAL question is ...will he be around a while or is this a one start deal? Considering they just shipped Jensen down, it's nice to see Mike is being consistent with his roster ....you can never predict what the man might do.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Todd Zola »

He may be in control of his own destiny, so to speak. Assuming Haren, Weaver and Ervin are mainstays, Chatwood will battle Palmer, Pineiro and Kazmir for 2 spots. While nothing is definite, one would think Palmer would not get in the way. So it is a 3-way battle for 2 spots and it seems the Angels are just aching for a reason to cut ties with Kazmir.

So I would say considering injuries and the quality of the competition, it would not be too surprising if Chatwood stuck.

I'll let Perry speak to his chance for success.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

On the other hand , I got lucky - I took Cain with the first pick, but Lamb was still waiting for me in round 2. So I wound up rebuilding my minors adding Kipnis, Choice, Joehmyn Chavez to Chisenhall and Duffy and took fliers on Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer. Now we'll see ... and Keith ... nothing personal - but I hope the Pirates do the expected thing in June and take Rendon - that'll make the coach very happy.

Captain Hook

#19 Post by Captain Hook »

my comments on Chatwood in the thread with his name on it which I answered first