Team Defense Metric

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Kstan
Triple-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 Keeper AL only

Team Defense Metric

#1 Post by Kstan »

does anyone know of a metric that quantifies a team defense? I would like to run some numbers in relation to pitching metrics.

Thanx in advance!
Kstan
5x5 Keeper AL only

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Team Defense Metric

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

There is a bunch of stuff out there, I don't know of a single number that represents an entire team's defense.

Once we get the site settled, one of the reasons I decided to make the move to partner with Gary is so that we are freer to do some compelling research of our own. This is strictly anecdotal, but my sense is MLB is about to enter a period where defensive scouting ramps up a notch or two as the quality and variety of data being collected has significantly improved the past several years. This encompasses everything from Pitch FX data to hit charts to stuff I haven't read about yet because there is so much out there.

Intuitively, the single representative metric that will reflect this is team BABIP against, so that is likely to be my initial focus.

Obviously, things like infield defense versus outfield defense with respect to GB pitchers and FB pitchers need to be considered.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

bigjonempire
Double-A

#3 Post by bigjonempire »

Kstan wrote:does anyone know of a metric that quantifies a team defense? I would like to run some numbers in relation to pitching metrics.

Thanx in advance!
This might be helpful:

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos ... 08&month=0

#4 Post by Guest »

Here are a couple:

BABIP against as Todd said
Zone Rating/Range Factor of individual players (can find this on ESPN for one source)

I tend to like the BABIP metric with a sprinkling of ZR (or maybe it's RF, one is good, the other isn't as good, need to get online and figure out which is which, will come back later)