Odd but Interesting Rule

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Odd but Interesting Rule

#1 Post by viper »

This is my second year in this league and although I read the rules closely, the implications of this rule did not sink in last year. It would not have helped me last year but it could have hurt me - I ended up a solid 2nd. This year I hold a six point lead although it has been a low as one in the six days. Here is the very interesting rule.

This is a 10-team NL only league with the standard 10 categories. Starting September 1, you may expand your roster by one player. This league drafts 14 hitters and 9 pitchers with no reserve list except for players on the DL. You even lose stats for players traded from the National League to the American League. By now, most players of any value are rostered. I initially read rule this as allowing a single reserve player that lets you to "bench" a player who is not playing that day or swap out a pitcher with a bad start. I was wrong. This rule actually adds a 10th pitcher or a 15th hitter. Because all transactions cost $5 each, you do not make daily changes but you could. This rule gives a fantasy meaning to September roster expansions.

I initially added a MR so I could increase Ks and helps ERA/WHIP plus reserving a slumping Kevin Correia. Now being told that I had to activate all my 25 players, I am going to release Correia and add a hitter who will not hurt my BA. The league pays $20 for winning a category so most teams in the hunt in a category grab a player. Right now seven of ten have an additional player rostered and active.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer