FAAB Rules & ManRam

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
RotoRooster

FAAB Rules & ManRam

#1 Post by RotoRooster »

For over twenty years, our fantasy baseball league has utilized Glenn Waggoner's Official Constitution of Rotisserie League Baseball as our official rule book (the "Roto Bible"). We have run into a question that is not directly answered by the Roto Bible regarding whether Manny was availble to be FAAB'd yesterday, which is our cut-off day for FAAB bids and other transactions. While Manny had been claimed and awarded to the Chisox, he was not officially placed on the White Sox 25-man roster. The Roto Bible uses two key terms "promoted to an active major league roster" and "traded to the 'other' major league" in the various transaction-related provisions. However, the two are not integrated in terms of the FAAB rules. Is a player traded to the other league automatically available even if he is not yet on the 25-man roster or is that a prerequisite to any FAAB bid/claim. Any assistance in the appropriate interpretation of the Roto Bible rules is appreciated.

Thanks, Roto Rooster Mike, Commish of the Fat Cities League

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: FAAB Rules & ManRam

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think it is how you look at it - you appear to have a situation that boils down to logical versus procedural. I would look at the ChiSox transactions then ask a question;
  • On August 30, the Sox moved Jake Peavy to the 60 day DL and were awarded Manny Ramirez on waivers. Reason for Peavy move? Open up a 40 man roster spot for Manny.
  • August 31 - activate Manny, option Carlos Torres, officially placing Manny on 25 man roster.
Now - the big questions;
  • Why did they wait a day on Manny? Because he wasn't going to be in Cleveland in time for Monday's game and the Sox did not want to go into that game a man short - which they most certainly would have if they put Manny on the 25 man before he reported.
  • OK ...so where WAS he? I think you answer this by looking at the facts and Manny's rights. Was he reporting to the major league club? Yes he was. Could he report anywhere BUT the major league club? No - where else could he go? He can't be sent to the minors without his permission, and the Sox aren't going to pay him $4 mil because they like him.
Logically - the only place Manny could have gone on August 30 was the Sox 25 man roster. Procedurally, they waited until Tuesday because they didn't want to be a man short for Monday's game. So, if anyone is arguing Manny wasn't available, they are arguing purely on a technical merit - and not a realistic one. A player traded to the "other" league can be assigned to the minors IF he qualifies - but Manny can't - at least, not without his permission. He's eligible for FAAB this week, IMHO.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

RotoRooster

#3 Post by RotoRooster »

Thanks for your insights and feedback.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

De nada. Good luck with it.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

Little late on this, but our league puts in a 24 hour grace period for FAAB's. Our deadline is midnight local time on Sunday. Meaning if the guy is moved anytime on Sunday he has to wait the week. Because we are weekly transactions we feel this gives everyone a fair shot at him, not just the guys patrolling the news wires late Sunday.