WHICH CLOSER TO ADD?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

WHICH CLOSER TO ADD?

#1 Post by daweasle »

OK I am in a 16 team league where it's head to head. This is the first week of the fantasy playoffs, and I am getting crushed on day one.

Saves is a category - and my opponent has no closers (I don't either)
I need a closer who will get me one save this week to win the category and get a point without blowing my ERA or taking a loss

my opponent has already used up all his moves for the season so he cannot add one to compete with me. (he should have budgeted moves better is my opinion - its happened to me a couple seasons ago)

Which guy should I add?

Axford
takahashi
uehara
brandon lyon
hong chi kuo
aardsma
brandon league

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: WHICH CLOSER TO ADD?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would say your choices come down to Kuo and Axford. Since you are only looking at a one week time frame, the Brew Crew is on the road all week at Cincy and at Phliiy ...the Dodgers are home all week against the Phils (who they almost no hit last night) and the Giants ...Kuo.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Push comes to shove I would probably choose Kuo as well. But slight pause is road closers have an edge because they are usually not used right away in tie games in the 9th or extras whereas home closers may pitch the 9th in ties.

Just curious -- would taking 2 closers benefit, giving yourself a better chance to get that one save and having them to use in the next round as well?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Dugan
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by Dugan »

Plus Milwaukee might give the first save chance to Hoffman as he is sitting at 599.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Dugan wrote:Plus Milwaukee might give the first save chance to Hoffman as he is sitting at 599.
Excellent point, Dugan - had not considered if a gimme save came up, they'd go to Hoffman. Well done.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I suppose the flip side to Hoffman is Broxton may regain the role is Kuo blows his next chance.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord