which UTIL player to add?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

which UTIL player to add?

#1 Post by daweasle »

I currently have hideki matsui who has not only struggled but he's started to see more and more bench time.

sHOULD i DROP HIM FOR ONE OF THESE AVAILABLE PLAYERS?

Here's my situation:
I am in third place, struggling to hold onto contention but significantly ahead of fourth place. Likely to make the money.

Matsui is not a keeper eligible guy so dropping him does not affect me long term. Unfortunately I have pretty much convinced my self just cannot decide best replacement?

possible guys to add?

Chris Heisey OF who seems to be getting more playing time lately
Chris Denorfia SDP ??
Michael Saunders OF
Bill Hall - ??

what I need: Bavg/OPS/rbi runs

I am ok in steals and actually ok in HR but not great so HR would be nice....

oh it's a sixteen team league mixed AL NL with a handful of extra categories and my pitching is better than my hitting somehow?

Captain Hook

Re: which UTIL player to add?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

daweasle wrote:possible guys to add?

Chris Heisey OF who seems to be getting more playing time lately
Chris Denorfia SDP ??
Michael Saunders OF
Bill Hall - ??

what I need: Bavg/OPS/rbi runs

I am ok in steals and actually ok in HR but not great so HR would be nice....
I agree with dropping Matsui....BUT choosing the right replacment is not so easy - let's look at your suggested guys:
Bill Hall - absolutely not - benched when Pedroia returns
Michael Saunders - hard to believe no one has pick him up if this is a keeper league, BUT the BA is poor
Chris Denorfia - I would have made #1 last week - before the Padres added Ludwick - still he is producing in all categories, so you just have to guess/bet on his continued AB and then he would be useful
Chris Heisey - great upside but not a full time player....who knows what Dusty will do with the lineup card (I like Heisey more if you have reserves so you can move him up and down - but there will still be weeks when you guess wrong

OTOH - there is fresh meat out there (presuming of course you have read the new Shopping Cart)

IF he can hit enough to stay in the lineup, Bourjos is better than all those guys - well for everything except HR and even there he had 13 this year in AAA for first four months, so on pace for 20

Another IF (notice capital I and capital F) would be Dan Johnson IF he will get enough AB (Carlos Pena going on the DL today helps,but....) and he may not help you if you strictly need an OF