Ending a league

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Ending a league

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

A topic was broached in the player forum about how to leave a league - this one may be a bit more morbid to some - but I'll leave that to the eye of the beholder. Have you ever thought about your league ending? Your primary league - the one you put above all others - especially you keeper/dynasty participants (and before I go any further ... Wolfie ..or any of the WRBL guys who may be reading this ... NO, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ME LEAVING!!!). I'm talking in general.

We've been lucky - our leagues have been around since 1986/87. A total of 24 franchises in two 10 team leagues with a two team expansion back in 1992. During that time, we've lost a grand total of two original owners and two replacement owners. Some partners have come and gone, but the original franchise holder remained. But Father Time is creeping up on us as is the economy. I wonder how many more years we have - like guys drafting Michael Ynoa and me wondering to myself; "Did someone just waste a pick because we're NEVER going to be around to see HIM!". For you keeper league guys , especially with minor leaguers, do you ever wonder if your league will still be around long enough to get some benefit from these guys?

And if your primary league were to fold, what might you do? Would your heart still be into Roto/Fantasy as much as it was? Would you shift focus to another of your leagues? Could you? Our guys are getting older, and in some cases, less than robust in health - and I was just wondering if others has similar thoughts.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

Re: Ending a league

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I have a feeling age will play a large part in people's responses.

Me, I'm 32, I will just find another AL-Only (thats my primary league) in the Boston area. Prior to this season my primary league was the mixed keeper that I commished. It ended after 5 years, as was designed in the constitution, so that was a known entity.

I will say though that the NFBC doesn't quite scratch the itch the way sitting down at a table and having an auction does. No trading plays a large part too, so if my primary league were to fold, I'd have to find another auction league with trading as the NFBC just won't cut it as my primary league.

And its not just cuz both my NFBC squads are horrible either :o

Trav The Ump

Re: Ending a league

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Same boat, I'm 28 and play in Northern Canada. 10 team baseball, 14 team hockey (it is Canada after all), and a 10 team NFL group. Of those 34 teams I think we've probably got less than 20 owners. A lot of overlap, but back to baseball. I'd probably have to find a new way to play. Really hard to find auction leagues up here. My job entails me meeting a lot of people and its very rare to find any other fantasy baseball nuts.

I don't foresee us closing up shop anytime soon but our rules are so extensive and quirky it takes most new guys 2-3 years to really comprehend them all. If we lost 3-4 owners we might be in real trouble. Hopefully, knock on wood, not a bridge we have to cross anytime soon. I've played Yahoo and ESPN free leagues and I may as well play solitaire here on my pc. It's about as exciting. I like the live auction, being able to call the other owners and lament his just trading for Jake Peavy, use his favorite team bias for or against him. All of it. I'd have to find another outlet, oddly in the hockey pool we haven't lost an owner in 4 years and have a waiting list of 3 guys trying to get in. No suck luck with ball.