Tulo... trade target?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Tulo... trade target?

#1 Post by Black Sox »

Got the opportunity to deal for Tulo. What are people's thoughts. Enough time for him to make an impact? I'd be giving up M.Stanton and a lower level SP. The league is a redraft 10 team mix league.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

deansdaddy

Re: Tulo... trade target?

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

I say no on Tulowitzki.

We are talking about a broken WRIST here. That's 6-8 weeks just to heal. That's Two months before he gets back - and then history has told us that players often struggle to get the power back right after a wrist injury.

At the very least you can politely say no to this offer - then wait a couple weeks. If you hear some positive reports on Tulo and you team is still in the hunt, fine swing for the fences.

I just don't think you can expect Tulo to be 100% again til next Spring,

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mjlewis »

deansdaddy wrote:I say no on Tulowitzki.

We are talking about a broken WRIST here. That's 6-8 weeks just to heal. That's Two months before he gets back - and then history has told us that players often struggle to get the power back right after a wrist injury.

At the very least you can politely say no to this offer - then wait a couple weeks. If you hear some positive reports on Tulo and you team is still in the hunt, fine swing for the fences.

I just don't think you can expect Tulo to be 100% again til next Spring,
I agree in general, but this is a 10-team mixed league. That is super super shallow. And it's a redraft league. I would not be surprised if the replacement for Stanton and the lower-level SP are 98% as good as the players they're replacing (if not better), and if you get a month or two of a stud out of that, it's worth it. In my 10-team mixed league, you can pick up players like Luke Scott, Seth Smith, Carlos Guillen, etc. for free, so Mike Stanton isn't _that_ exciting.

(For what it's worth, Will Carroll thinks he'll be back by August 1.)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

And Will also said his power is likely not going to return this season.

That said, trying to capitalize on the Mike Stanton name brand is not a bad idea.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

since you don't say what place you are in the standings, hard to ultimately guage.

even without the pop, tulo can hit and run. and, ten teams probably makes it pretty tough, so the next question would be can you hold your spot among the leaders before tulo returns to help in whatever capacity he can?

if the answer is an emphatic "yes" then it sounds like you are competitive without him.

if the answer is "no" then probably tulo would be too little late, methinks.

so, i essentially agree with with the others.

pass.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#6 Post by Black Sox »

Ended up making the deal traded M.Stanton & H.Kuroda for Tulo ( last week )

In answer to Lawrs question, I'm currently in 1st place, it's really been a two man race most of the year. Both the other team and I are 12 points + ahead of the 3rd place team. I just moved back into first after trailing by 3 points for a couple weeks ( love those 2 point swings when you pass the team your chasing in a catagory)

Standings as of today

ME 80.0
2nd 74.0
3rd 61.0

I thought mjlewis made the best point in favor, and why I ultimately made the deal. With 10 teams it is super shallow, ( I'm "holding the fort" with E.Aybar who's not too shabby )

I appreciate everyone's input, at this point he won't make or break my season, but I'm hoping if it's coming down to the wire he can give my team a boost that final month. Thanks again to all who commented
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc