When do 2010 draftees become available on waiver wire?

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
southpaw

When do 2010 draftees become available on waiver wire?

#1 Post by southpaw »

Does it depend on who is running the league?
I am in a money keeper league on ESPN.
I have the #1 waiver position and I'd love to pick up Bryce Harper as a possible keeper once he's available.
Does anyone know when I might see him on the WW?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: When do 2010 draftees become available on waiver wire?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

southpaw wrote:Does it depend on who is running the league?
I am in a money keeper league on ESPN.
I have the #1 waiver position and I'd love to pick up Bryce Harper as a possible keeper once he's available.
Does anyone know when I might see him on the WW?
I can't believe you'd see him until after he signed. Not a question of who's running the league but when Harper actually becomes a professional baseball player.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

Okay, so once they are signed, they would show up on the WW?
I don't know how ESPN or Yahoo or CBS or anyone usually handles these situations. I'm just trying to decide whether to use my waiver position now or hold onto it for Harper.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

1. This should be spelled out in your league rules and if not and you default to your commissioner service, they should be able to tell you the deal.

Don't mean to piss in your Wheaties but....

2. I know how great the kid "is". But he should be a senior in high school. He is several years away. Is your league guaranteed to be around in 6 or 7 years when you will really reap the benefits?

You know your league dynamics. But if it is a money league, I'd want to win NOW. I'd leverage that waiver spot into present help. But that's just me.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

southpaw

#5 Post by southpaw »

Todd Zola wrote:1. This should be spelled out in your league rules and if not and you default to your commissioner service, they should be able to tell you the deal.

2. I know how great the kid "is". But he should be a senior in high school. He is several years away. Is your league guaranteed to be around in 6 or 7 years when you will really reap the benefits?

You know your league dynamics. But if it is a money league, I'd want to win NOW. I'd leverage that waiver spot into present help. But that's just me.

Thanks, good points.
I guess this goes for any prospect who is drafted this year that may be MLB ready next season or at some point next season ala Strasburg.
As for winning now, I'm pretty much shot this year. Last place. Inherited a team who didn't have great keepers, they were pretty good though. So it's a work in progress, hence my need for top prospects who could possibly produce next year or the next.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

southpaw wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:1. This should be spelled out in your league rules and if not and you default to your commissioner service, they should be able to tell you the deal.

Thanks, good points.
I guess this goes for any prospect who is drafted this year that may be MLB ready next season or at some point next season ala Strasburg.
As for winning now, I'm pretty much shot this year. Last place. Inherited a team who didn't have great keepers, they were pretty good though. So it's a work in progress, hence my need for top prospects who could possibly produce next year or the next.
There is one thing you have to keep in mind ...it's not a drafted prospect you're interested in ... it's a signed prospect you're interested in. If ANY prospect fails to sign by August 15th? Back in the pool he goes for next year. So, if a prospect signs late? There will be about 2-3 weeks left in the minor league schedule and maybe a trip to the AFL. So to have ANY chance next year in spring training - the guy better be a monster.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

with the caveat that you first must determine if Harper will even be available...

By "now" I meant in the next year or two, not 5-7 years. Depending on the trade value of someone like Harper, your play may be to draft him and deal him for a bunch of help the year you decide to go for it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:with the caveat that you first must determine if Harper will even be available...

By "now" I meant in the next year or two, not 5-7 years. Depending on the trade value of someone like Harper, your play may be to draft him and deal him for a bunch of help the year you decide to go for it.
Much wisdom in that concept from the Forum Funklord.