How to respond to this Pujols / H. Ramirez offer?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Montreal77

How to respond to this Pujols / H. Ramirez offer?

#1 Post by Montreal77 »

I would like to hear what people think about this offer I received, as I am looking to validate my point of why I think this offer is bad. I would have to give up Kevin Youkilis and Hanley Ramirez for Albert Pujols and Ryan Theriot.

First off, Theriot breaks the deal for me. I think he is marginal, and does not improve my team. I would be giving up a top-tier player at a premium position and a top-10 1st baseman for Pujols. I need some ammo to retort his offer at our Memorial Day party tomorrow. If I turn down his offer, he will tell me that I am "not serious about making a deal because I don't want to give anyone of value up."

I have told him that I need saves, yet he insists that he only has average closers.. He has C. Marmol, O. Dotel, R. Santiago, W. Ohman, and M. Corpas.

Which closer should I expect in a trade if I offered K. Youkilis or M. Young? He needs a 3B. I have Youkilis, Young and Freese who qualify at 3B.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How to respond to this Pujols / H. Ramirez offer?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

All you need to tell him is the difference between Pujols and Hanley is quite small. As a matter of fact, some selected Hanley as the #1 overall pick in drafts this spring.

I'm willing to bet that NO ONE tool Theriot before Youkilis.

One can argue that Pujols for Hanley is an even-up deal.

If this were the NFL and a team has the #2 pick, and some thought the #2 player was as good as the #1 player, would they deal their second round pick just to move up one spot? I don't think so.

Quite frankly, none of those closers is equal to Youkilis in terms of raw value. If this was later in the season or I was absolutely certain I could take the offense hit and really, really needed saves and some ratio help, I may deal Youk for Broxton, Mo or Papelbon.

As is, adding Young and getting back Marmol is fair.

But it sounds like this guy is not into fair, he is into "winning" the deal in terms of both value and help to his team.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

as always, my question is "why is this deal being made?"

but, i do see you giving up a 1.75 studs, for 1.15 studs, even if albert is slightly studlier than hanley.

but, again, i don't see much purpose in trading a middle if and corner guy for a middle if and a corner guy. i do see how it sort of improves the team of your trading partner, but not your team. not that albert ain't great.

but, this is just moving puzzle pieces in my view.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Montreal77 wrote:I have told him that I need saves, yet he insists that he only has average closers.. He has C. Marmol, O. Dotel, W. Ohman, and M. Corpas.

Which closer should I expect in a trade if I offered K. Youkilis or M. Young? He needs a 3B. I have Youkilis, Young and Freese who qualify at 3B.
I removed Santiago(???)
Marmol and Dotel are who you want
Ohman and Corpas are just placeholders

You should trade Young (or Freese but I think most would value Young more) for either Marmol or Dotel - give him his choice perhaps.....I will trade you your choice of 3B, Young or Freese for your choice of closers Marmol or Dotel

The other trade as pointed out is not something to even consider (but you might reconsider if it was Youk and Hanley for Pujols, TheRiot AND Marmol)

Montreal77

#5 Post by Montreal77 »

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, the deal in which he wants the "blockbuster" moving of Hanley and Albert is never going to happen. I wanted Hanley and there is no way that I could replace his production. But I wanted to hear what people thought so I could come to some sort of good argument in my response. I have told him in the past that I need a closer, yet he continues to want to swap Pujols (who I don't even want since I have Youkilis) for Hanley. In the end, I let the trade discussions die. If he won't even put my team needs into the mix (saves) then I told him I was moving on to other options.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!