Two Trades - for me a case study

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Two Trades - for me a case study

#1 Post by viper »

Over the weekend I made two trades. They were with the same person actually and he is the co-commissioner of each league.

Both were pitcher for hitter deals. I was on the pitcher end in one league and the hitter side in the other. Both leagues are 5x5 AL-only with 10 teams. IP replaces Strikeouts as a category so Ks don't matter. There is a rather high 1100 IP minimum. This causes SPs to be in greater demand especially with IP being a category. The top 4 cash.

Deal 1: I got Teixeria/Cahill for MMaier/Lester. In this league I am in 4th. My hitting number were 18 with 41 in pitching. I have a '6' in saves so my pitching points were essentially generated in SPs. The study will be how much I lose versus how much I gain. This is the classic question and this, and the other deal, involved impact type players and not small adjustments.

Deal 2: I got Lowell/CliffLee for Youkilis/Simon. In this league I am in 8th. My hitting points are 33 and my pitching is at 13.5. Again I have a '6' in saves with only really a loss of two likely based on closer distribution. This team now has a super AL-only staff with Greinke, Lester & Lee as the studs. The pitching is so bad due to pitchers like Meche who have since been dropped for low IP but quality MRs like Bard. The team still wasn't moving up in pitching points but adding Lee should jump start them. But how much will my offense be hurt?

I can now look at this Hitting for pitching trade from both end of the spectrum.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer