Lester for a corner

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Lester for a corner

#1 Post by viper »

My team is better in pitching than hitting. 5x5 scoring. AL only. My top pitcher is Lester. HR & RBI are my major weaknesses with BA next in line. Two teams are interested and would deal value. To move up, I need hitting so I feel Lester can be dealt but he is my best. They have Tex, Arod, Morneau & Cabrera and a power corner fits the rest of my team the best. The corresponding swaps would be two players who would likely be dropped so this is truly a pitcher for hitter deal. Thoughts? FAAB is today and this trade if completed would be prior to FAAB.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Lester for a corner

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here - he has 3 first rounders and a 4th guy that if healthy, is a second or third rounder in mixed, a late first or second rounder in AL only.

We were concerned about Morneau returning from a couple of injuries, but thus far, other than a couple of days off, he has been fine. He is playing over his head as he is stroking line drives at a higher than normal rate, leading to a high BABIP and overall BA - that should regress. His power is normal, his FB% is a tad low, but within range. He is fanning a little more than normal, but again, within range. His walk rate is way up, we'll see if that comes down as he cools off.

If my team needed some power production, I would take any of those corners for Lester and would even sweeten the deal to get it done.

But first I would aim for Morneau and hope to get the other guy selling high and suggest there is still some residual injury risk.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

I wouldn't trade him for many hitters but it'd be hard to not go for Cabrerea, Sterod or Teixeira. If you're confident in your self-appraisal I say go.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

todd, I don't plan on adding. he knows it will be a bit costly. If you had the opportunity, would you take the other three before Morneau?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

The other 3 are 3 of the top-5 fantasy players in the AL -- we're talking Lester, not a healthy Felix or CC or Greinke. Lester is very, very good. Morneau is very, very good. ARod, Miggy and Teix are studs.

To answer the question, of course I would -- I'll take a dollar bill for 80 cents any day.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

To put it further in perspective, our latest rest-of-year projections have

ARod $31
Cabrera $33
Teixeira $28
Morneau $22

Lester $19

viper
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by viper »

lester/MMaier for Texieria/Cahill
done

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

nice job

check mark for viper

#9 Post by Guest »

Theft. Nice job.

This is how you read a market and capitalize.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#10 Post by Tampa Bob »

That trading partner had better not have been your kid or once he hears the league reaction you're getting jack on Fathers Day.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

viper
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by viper »

my trading partner is the co-commissioner

he called me this morning and proposed a deal for lester. There is something nice about discussing trades over the phone rather than with e-mails to people you do not know. I'm not a big trade person but when I do make them they are not just tweaks.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer