Tyler Clippard - Fantasy MVP?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Tyler Clippard - Fantasy MVP?

#1 Post by alleyoops »

Yet another win today, giving him 7 on the season. Will he win 20? Good ERA and WHIP, high K rate. The ultimate "vulture" so far. Can only hope his arm doesn't fall off, as they run him out there seemingly every night.

Anyone know of a good site that provides ytd values (i.e. earned so far and extended for a full season at that rate)? I'd be surprised if Clippard isn't in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

Seems there has been a shift in fantasy away from closers and toward setup guys, and Clippard's a good example of getting value there, even when the guy doesn't get the closer gig.

Captain Hook

Re: Tyler Clippard - Fantasy MVP?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

There have been several relievers who won 15 or 16 games in a season (mostly years ago, Perranoski, Face etc) but I don't think any have ever won twenty.....and I doubt Clippard does, he is already showing signs of overuse but he does have the manager's confidence right now, so ride it if you can but be ready to jump ship...it won't last if they keep running him out there five times a week.

Value is totally dependent on league format and size but I think you are way off on relative value - even with as many wins as best starters to date, he doesn't have the strikeouts and even if the ERA and WHIP were equal his innings pitched thus impact would be far less.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#3 Post by alleyoops »

OK, he shows at #20 pitcher in 12 team mixed 5x5, here: http://www.thomasgeorge.com/baseball/

So I did way overestimate his ranking. On the other hand many of the 19 pitchers ahead of him on the list cost a chunk of $ at the draft, while he was certainly waiver wire fodder (and probably still is, in a 12-team mixed).

Does anyone have any experience with TG Fantasy Baseball's Dollar Calculator? Comments good or bad? I find referencing ytd values to come in handy in trade talks, and I don't believe it's available here, or is it (I'm Gold, not Platinum)?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

it will be available every two weeks or so starting soon.

The thing with Clippard is he may end the season with 9 wins.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

This reminds me of Jesse Crain like 5 years ago. I don't remember what year it was exactly but I know he had about 7 wins by the end of May and 9 or so by June. Pretty sure he ended the year with 12 or so. There is so much luck involved in a starter getting a Win that they are tough to predict, never mind a vulture middle reliever.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

i think elroy face (18-1) has the record. and, luis arroyo, of the early sixties yanks was 15-3, if memory serves.

and, as perry noted, peranoski. but, the dodgers also had phil regan, who was 10-1 in the 60's.

and, dennis lamp was 11-0 in 1985.

i actually wrote about clippard on the hotpage on sunday.

i have him on several teams. todd and i were hyping him to one another all winter.

killer strat o matic card this year.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

1999 Jeff Zimmerman starts 9-0, makes the All-Star team and didn't win another game that year?