Rank these AL only pitchers for pickup

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Trav The Ump

Rank these AL only pitchers for pickup

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

Really light in K's, got to fix it before I have to goto drastic measures to fix it. I can freely pickup any of the following for in my mind Braden or Robertson.

Brett Cecil TOR
Justin Masterson CLE
Mitch Talbot CLE
Darren Oliver TEX

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Rank these AL only pitchers for pickup

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry, but I don't see how this fixes a "light in K's" issue. And I don't see how dropping Braden fixes anything.

Braden's peripherals are not outstanding, but they are decent and sustainable. His hit rate is a little lucky, but his HR9 is historically better so that should basically be a wash, suggesting his present numbers are indicative of what to expect from here on out.

Replacing a reliever with a starter obviously helps strikeouts, assuming Roberston is David and not Nate and get to keep his NL stats.

But Talbot only fans guys by accident.

Masterson is interesting as he dominates RHB but gets bludgeoned by LHB. His K9 is great and would obviously help. But he is incendiary to ratios with that walk rate and weakness against LHB. His surface stats are exaggerated due to a bloated BABIP, but even when that corrects, his control is an issue.

Cecil is showing a decent skills growth but we do not know if it is sustainable.

To me, if the object is to improve strikeouts, while neither choice is wonderful (or else they would not be available) Masterson is the riskier, but higher reward choice. His K9 is better and he plays in a better home park.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Thanks Todd, yes David and not Nate. I've got rzcepzinski coming back too which should help the situation but I think I may have one too many relievers with League, Robertson, Uehara and Soriano all not Matt Thorton-esque. I am really trailing in some K's. At this point I don't think I mind a bit of a gamble in ERA and Whip as that can be fixed later in the season more so than I believe most realize. Looks like Masterson will be joining the squad later today.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

Oh jeepers, Trav, I'm sorry.

I know you said you're heavy on relievers but I think I'd rather go for someone like Bard that gives you 60% of the K's without delivering the ass-whipping to your ratios that Masterson will.

Good luck.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

That would be a good plan TB if any of those types of guys were available. Bard, Thornton et al. are already rostered. I ended up grabbing Cecil and Masterson for Robertson and Jesse Crain. Paid off tonight as Cecil threw a gem. Lol. 8-)

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Trav The Ump wrote:Really light in K's, got to fix it before I have to goto drastic measures to fix it. I can freely pickup any of the following for in my mind Braden or Robertson.
Bubeleh ..if this is what's in the discount bin, I'd say it's time to execute the drastic measures scenario. Sounds like you have more of a K problem than just one pitcher can fix. And before you get to high on Cecil, remember it's the Tribe he did it against - that barely counts as major league level ball.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams