I hate looking like a fool

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

I hate looking like a fool

#1 Post by brooklyn49 »

OK, I admit it, I am a risk averse type of player. The reason for which is is not, in small part, because the other players really enjoy pointing out every mistake in judgment made. Another reason is because I have had some good luck going with the percentages.

So, despite a bloated ERA, few Quality Starts, and a 1.06 HR/9, I have resisted taking a flier on unknown free agent pitchers Stauffer, Meek, LeBlanc, Latos, Jason Vargas and Fister, even vets like Bronson Arroyo. But last week, when another player dropped Javier Vázquez, I hesitated only briefly to drop Derek Lowe and use my waiver spot to pick Vázquez up.

And my reward today for this high percentage choice: 3 IP, 3 HR Allowed, WHIP 3.67, .50 K/BB and an ERA of 15.00

Did I mention that I hate looking like an idiot?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: I hate looking like a fool

#2 Post by lawr »

well, you don't look like an idiot.

that was a perfectly reasonable gamble, and still is.

there is a chance javy will suck all season, but i would not bank upon it. he will have some streaks, and, if his era winds up are five, that means there are still some good innings coming your way.

what you can do is every thing you can to put what seems to be the most rounder, steady, productive, and sometimes undervalued lineup possible.

then you let them play.

most of the time doing this pays off in a contender, which is what you want out draft day. but, well, sometimes guys just have off years. they just do, brilliant pick or not, and that makes you feel the inverse of grabbing austin jackson in a minor league draft last year.

you made the right move. forget about the rest, let alone thinking you have to justify it to yourself.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by brooklyn49 »

Lawr, thanks for sharing your perspective. I was sitting on the ledge, but I really wasn't going to jump. In two weeks, I expect to see you tossing tortillas at Bay to Breakers.
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Interesting scout's take on Javy...

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/05/open-t ... avy-27622/
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord