MLB AB's: Flowers v Montero

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Jim F

MLB AB's: Flowers v Montero

#1 Post by Jim F »

Besides the Posey's and Santana's of the world, who has the better shot at seeing some AB's sooner out of Jesus Montero and Tyler Flowers?

Are either of them worth holding onto in an NFBC format? I know Jesus won't get the call for his catching but is there any chance of significant AB's before September in NY?

Thanks

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: MLB AB's: Flowers v Montero

#2 Post by lawr »

they are both nice prospects, but neither is worth stashing in an nfbc format. even if promoted, think of matt weiters as the prototype. how long did it take him to get the hang?

prospects are generally shiny and bright under the tree, but once the package is open, well, there is a struggle getting the hang of the contents.

Jim F

#3 Post by Jim F »

lawr wrote:they are both nice prospects, but neither is worth stashing in an nfbc format. even if promoted, think of matt weiters as the prototype. how long did it take him to get the hang?

prospects are generally shiny and bright under the tree, but once the package is open, well, there is a struggle getting the hang of the contents.
Lawr, burning the midnight oil? Thanks for the reply.

Even with outstanding powerhouse catchers such as Ronny Paulino, Greg Zaun and John Baker scattered around as my 2nd catchers? Okay I confess I dropped Zaun Sunday and missed his career day yesterday but still, don't waste the spot eh??

How about Max Ramirez? Is he worth a decent bid?

Thanks,

Jim

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I think the real take home message is two-fold:

1. It is not worth taking up a valuable reserve spot on a catcher prospect, especially once your team catches the injury bug which will inevitably happen to everyone.

B. It is not worth an "all-in" bid on a rookie catcher

if you are able to get someone with a tempered bid in the HOPES of being better than Ronny Paulino, that is okay. Expecting it is where the trouble lies.

To address some of the names...

Ramirez is going to backup until either Salty or Teagarden show signs of life in the minors

I don't see Montero coming at all save for a token September cup of coffee, and maybe not even then

Flowers is intriguing, especially if he gets the call to DH as part of the reason catcher's struggle is they are focused on the defense and game calling. But with Jones raking, that won't happen soon. However if the White Sox continue to struggle, who knows, maybe they unload Jones, opening up DH. Or of course, they could deal AJP as he is in his walk year but that means the whole issue with catching is a concern.

If Flowers were available now for a real low bid and I did not need the bench spot to adequately manage my team, I could see stashing him. But that's about it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree with lawr and Todd for the most part - IMO and experience the bench spot in NFBC is a lot more valuable than a maybe.

As far as the individual players

Max is already up - with Cruz on the DL there might be some DH games for him but it runs the risk of playing a non-catcher to finish a game Treanor couldn't for some reason OR giving up the DH if you move Ramirez. His defensive play at catcher is(was) deficient so I don't see many games for him. Long term he is a DH

Flowers is the one of the three most likely to get more AB and help a team this year, but otoh he might not be up until September.....he rates now to be their opening day catcher next April.

Montero is the best hitter of the three (all are good hitters, he is just better) but unlikely to see playing time this year.....and with a couple of better defensive catching prospects in the system behind him, he may eventually be a DH or 1B.

Jim F

#6 Post by Jim F »

EDIT: WOW I just read Jason Mastrodonato's article that pretty much said it all and much better than I did so forget it..

Just some added info on Flowers and the AJP situation. While he has started hitting the ball I did read that AJP will achieve 10/5 status in June (not sure of the exact date) so if the WSox are going to trade him they would most likely do it before he can reject any deal I would think.

It could be worth stashing him for a month cheap and if they don't move AJP then the chances of Flowers getting starter AB's would drop (not that they still couldn't trade AJP but not quite as likely).

I dunno, think I might take a shot at Flowers where I can afford it