Michael Inoa?

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Michael Inoa?

#1 Post by Tampa Bob »

Baseball America and Deric McKamey are both really high on Inoa. It's a bit surprising considering his age (17) and experience (none). Does anyone know anything about him or have thoughts on him?

Seattle has the #1 pick this year, right? Is there a consensis #1 player available to them? I'd love to hit the next Price, King Felix, etc.

THanks ~TB

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Inoa?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Stephen Strasburg, starting pitcher from San Diego St. is the consensus top pick and it is assumed the Nationals, who have the pick will take him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

msugray

#3 Post by msugray »

Isn't Michael Inoa already property of the Oakland A's?
They gave him a team record signing bonus last summer.
Somewhere north of $4 million as a 16 year old.

Many things can happen along the way to the Majors if his age is accurate, but yes he is considered to be highly special.

He would look nice on a dynasty reserve list. I guess, I trust the A's if they're willing to drop $4+ million on the kid.

edit: San Francisco Gate article:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 11ISSN.DTL

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

Washington has the first pick? I knew they had the worst record but I thought the pick was alternated between leagues. Wrong again, Watson! Predicting the second pick when I cannot even predict the team picking is probably beyond my reach.

Yes, msugray, Oakland has his rights. That is indeed a hefty chunk of change for a 16 year old. Makes me want to slap my own boys for not being bigger, more athletic or left handed.

I think I'm just looking for a way to screw myself out of the proper pick by overthinking this kid's potential. When I pick I'll have most of the following to choose from:

Feliz - Tex
Smoak - Tex
Anderson - Oak
Cahill - Oak
Inoa - Oak
Hosmer - KC
Edward Salcedo - FA
Tillman - Bal
Revere - Min
Beckham - TB
Beckham - ChiW
Bowden - Bos
Jackson - NY
Montero - NY

As you can see, there's almost too many choices. Right now I have Feliz #1 and Smoak #2 but Shawn has me thinking of Hosmer more than I was.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by Tampa Bob »

Nice article, thanks.

ShawnC

#6 Post by ShawnC »

I think Kevin Goldstein just officially won the Michael Inoa man-crush war by ranking him at #20 on his top 100 that came out last week. I don't see BA ranking him in the top 50, not sure about McKamey as I'm not as familiar with his work. That's how ultra talented this kid is, but ranking him that high... I dunno. A lot can go wrong with a teenager who has yet to be tested.

He's also very high on Hosmer, who came in at #18, while Smoak isn't far behind at #22.

Unless something changes, Strasburg should be the first off the board this June. Right now I'd probably take Feliz just because I feel a little more comfortable with someone who has had success in the middle regions of the minor leagues, but I'd take Strasburg ahead of Hosmer/Smoak.