Snider

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
91OSUAlum

Snider

#1 Post by 91OSUAlum »

Is his BAPIP or something doing better or is Travis a bust as a prospect?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Snider

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I know it is getting rather cliche, but Snider has been EXTREMELY unlucky so far this season.

His K-rate is improved (though still not great) while his BB-rate has also improved. This is good, especially for someone that only turned 22 barely 2 months ago.

His BABIP is an insanely low .150, which is double head scratching as his LD% is actually quite good.

He has 8 hits in 56 AB with 14 K.

He has 10 line drives. On the average 75% of LD go for hits. That should be 7 or 8 hits.

He has 14 fly balls. On the average 20% go for hits. That is 2 or 3. He has 2 HR so that is on target.

He has 18 grounders. On the average, 25% of GB go for hits. That should be 4 or 5.

All totaled, using average outcome of batted balls, he should have 15 hits or a .268 BA.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

91OSUAlum

#3 Post by 91OSUAlum »

So sounds like I need to ride that train a little longer. Thinking of moving Randy Ruiz to try and get Smoak...They wanted Snider and Street.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

91OSUAlum wrote:So sounds like I need to ride that train a little longer. Thinking of moving Randy Ruiz to try and get Smoak...They wanted Snider and Street.
If that is a keeper league I would gladly give them Snider and Street (health prognosis unknown) for Smoak (and I like Snider, but Smoak is a much better hitter and has the advantage of being a switch hitter)

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Skin Blues »

Todd Zola wrote: He has 10 line drives. On the average 75% of LD go for hits. That should be 7 or 8 hits.

He has 14 fly balls. On the average 20% go for hits. That is 2 or 3. He has 2 HR so that is on target.

He has 18 grounders. On the average, 25% of GB go for hits. That should be 4 or 5.

All totaled, using average outcome of batted balls, he should have 15 hits or a .268 BA.
This is off-topic, but is there a place to find this league-wide average data? It'd be interesting to look at. %GB for hits would have a lot to do with a player's speed, too. It would be a useful tool to break this all down into a player's expected hits and their actual hits, to find guys like Snider that are just having bad luck. Much more useful than looking at BABIP, especially for guys who pop up a lot/don't get many line drives or vice versa.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Data broken down via the detail you describe is not available for free. We have purchased it in the past and hope to do so in the future.

Go to the player pages at www.fangraphs.com to find some of the more detailed data you desire. It breaks a player's batted balls into what he hit. What it does not say is how many line drives went for hits, how many grounders, etc.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#7 Post by Guest »

Skin Blues wrote:
Todd Zola wrote: He has 10 line drives. On the average 75% of LD go for hits. That should be 7 or 8 hits.

This is off-topic, but is there a place to find this league-wide average data? It'd be interesting to look at. %GB for hits would have a lot to do with a player's speed, too. It would be a useful tool to break this all down into a player's expected hits and their actual hits, to find guys like Snider that are just having bad luck. Much more useful than looking at BABIP, especially for guys who pop up a lot/don't get many line drives or vice versa.
Only thing I'd say is that L/G/F rates tend to stabilize over time, which means that if you're looking at BABIP over a period of time, it will tell you as much about the player as the LGF stuff would.

In the short run, Id assume every youngster will be around .300BABIP until something else proves otherwise, as there are a lot of factors which play into a player's BABIP (speed certainly is one of them).