Carl Pavano

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

Carl Pavano

#1 Post by Macca11 »

Is he to be trusted at home to the Red Sox tomorrow?
I benched him at Anaheim and he proved me wrong there.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

AllstonRockCity

Re: Carl Pavano

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

i realize MIN has a new home park, but in the past, trips to the twin cities have proved extremely difficult for the sawx. AT BOS, no way in hell, at home vs. Bos, I'd give him a chance. he looked precise against ANA the other night. nothing over 90-91, but pinpoint accuracy.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

macca, i meant to post this morning, but work distracted me, and well, after the fact the words are not so pointed.

but, i see pavano really improving on his 2009, and turning in a great year for the twins, and i see the park helping him. why? because cold is generally the pitcher's friend, not the hitter's.

not to mention pavano has been a good ratio pitcher over the last year, and if you take away a few of his early season starts in 2009, like being mauled his first start by the rangers, well, all his numbers get better.

and, on a well managed team that stresses fundimentals like the twins, i see this as a boon.

keep him. he is really pretty good. when he is not hurt.

Macca11
Major League Regular

#4 Post by Macca11 »

Thanks for the comments, guys. Fenway, Arlington and the Bronx apart, I'll be mostly letting my pitchers pitch.
I guess it's picking up pitchers like Pavano off the wire that proves you should draft early/spend big on hitting.
Most of my pitching staff are injury risks, so I'm hoping for the best.
And if my hitters could just bring their average up to the Mendoza line...
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

Shoot - I meant to post as well - I grabbed him last week in one NFBC league (not the Rookie League) and I pitched him this week. I liked that both games were at home - and figured with KC up next he was a good bet for at least one W - now we are looking at a potential nice 2 W week. I agree - he is a solid guy to have on the back end of your staff this year.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - who would've predicted that KC would torch him for 7 runs - ruined a good week right there.

Macca11
Major League Regular

#7 Post by Macca11 »

“who would've predicted that KC would torch him for 7 runs?”

Not me, that's for sure. Closed down the Angels and Red Sox, got lit up by the Royals. Baseball certainly makes this crystal ball stuff difficult!

Pitchers:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

To me, Pavano is the sort of guy you have to have a preset expectation for and are willing to accept, and then leave him in there, except for EXTREME road matchups like @NYY or @TEX or @BOS if those lineups are hitting.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord