Is it time to drop Napoli?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
ksenor

Is it time to drop Napoli?

#1 Post by ksenor »

I have Napoli in a one catcher league with Y. Molina and Martin available on the wire.

Do I drop Napoli or is Scossia just playing matchups in this opener?

Trav The Ump

Re: Is it time to drop Napoli?

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

Do not drop Napoli, first week of starts mean very little. OFer's, Matsui, Mathis are all going to start needing days off shortly and his playing time will increase. At this point he's played, not a distinct #2 catcher and he will get his at bats. You drafted him knowing he was in a bit of a split. Don't cut him when you start seeing the split.

ksenor

#3 Post by ksenor »

I hear ya...but in a 1 catcher league is he going to get enough ABs to produce for me?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

No , you don't drop him ... but you also don't plan on him getting many more than 350 ABs. Scoscia likes Mathis's defense and he'll get a lot of PT because if it. If you want a catcher who is going to get 450+ ABs, Napoli isn't him. But then again, what are you expecting fom him in the first place?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Skin Blues »

Playing time expectations appear to have been slightly optimistic around here. It's still early, but could easily be a sign of things to come. I'd give Martin a shot if I was you.

This is one of those times when misguided selective anecdotal memories would have served me well. I remembered Mathis lighting it up in the playoffs last year and expected to see him progress this year if given a chance, when in hindsight it was about a 5-6 at-bat outlier amongst a season that he otherwise could have been hitting while wearing a blindfold. But yeah... good defense. If anybody appreciates that, as well as giving sufficient rest to the catchers, its Scioscia.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

he is ostensibly going to DH some, too.

the guy has nice pop with a track record of it. just be patient with the guy. 15-plus homers, maybe 20 if he gets the at-bats.

patience is everything.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Lawr beat me to it.

As the person primarily responsible for the site's aggressive playing time projection for Napoli, keep in mind an injury to Matsui or Rivera will lead to more time at DH.

In deep leagues, it is a no-brainer to hold and count on what Napoli will give you by year's end.

But in mixed leagues of say 12 teams with 1 catcher, if there is someone the ilk of Martin on the wire, it is a different story.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ksenor

#8 Post by ksenor »

Thanks guys for the advice...

I picked up Martin this morning but will keep a close eye on Nap to see what shakes out.

50 Desert Eagles

#9 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Well I am in a DEEP H2H league and always liked Napoli's pop...so I made a play for him and got a trade....traded Cody Ross and Jamie Garcia for Napoli.....I just hope he has a regular Napoli season....As for Ross, I have too many OF already and we play 1 Catcher, but in a 20 team league, they have some value...Martin is my regular Catcher, but could always use Naps on Martin off days or groin issue days.