Jake Fox to earn catcher eligibility???

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

Jake Fox to earn catcher eligibility???

#1 Post by daweasle »

So I have been doing some research trying to figure out how the A's are going to use Jake Fox, and I think he may be used at Catcher enough to gain eligibility by the All Star break.

(depending on your league requirements it may be significantly sooner)

I see that OAK is sending Landon Powell down, which tells me Fox will be their next best option at catcher.....(behind suzuki of course)

but we all know suzuki cannot catch 6-7 games a week, so I think fox could get in late in games and or get a start there once a week.

I am thinking this could be huge for his keeper value if not for his in season value later this season.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Jake Fox to earn catcher eligibility???

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Unless you PLANNED on having Fox catch, this could in fact hurt his value as he will only be getting backup catcher at bats and not time anywhere else. Backing up Kurt Suzuki is akin to backing up Peyton Manning.

If you planned on 300 AB, he will fall short.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

I was thinking kind of a uber-util role -

maybe he'd play

1 game a week at DH
1 game at C (plus late inning replacement in blowouts)
1 game at first or third
1 game in corner infield spot
pinch hit as needed

could equal 17-20 at bats a week if things went right?

I am sure his at bats would be directly related to his production. He has shown he has a capable bat - but he's never gottent he oppurtunity.

I am thinking he could be this year brandon inge if thingws went the way I think they might.

(I don't own him on any teams yet) but I was thinking of dropping randy ruiz to pick him up for his potential keeper value just in case it worked out the way i think it might

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

They won't do that without a third catcher on the roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

very good point i didnt consider that part

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

i see fox actually establishing himself at first, at least until chris carter comes up. just don't see them putting him behind the dish without having worked with the oakland staff during a game and i don't think he has played there this spring.

look for powel to be back shortly. gotta have three backstops. at best fox would be #3 in my opinion. at best.

but, i do think he will be worth the corner investment.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Fox has caught a lot the past week while Lawr and I have been running around NYC doing drafts, seeing old friends, going to movie premiers, etc.

He appears to be the backup receiver on opening day.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by lawr »

in that case fox is a brilliant pick.

my only concern is the same for any catcher: they are always just a foul ball away from broken fingers and the dl. same fear for powell as for mauer, though.

you got to be lucky to be good, after all...

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

nice to see people weren't reading the Cactus League Notes :shock: