Carlos Santana

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

Carlos Santana

#1 Post by Macca11 »

Best guess for if/when he gets to Cleveland this season?
Asking because he is No.1 on the MB depth charts for the Indians catching position...and I've got him on reserve on my team.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Carlos Santana

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

He has the most projected at bats. When you automate the depth charts like we have done, you occasionally run into this problem.

Our anticipation is he comes up mid-season and is the full-time guy from that point on.

Presently, it is Marson and Redmond.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Santana time likely begins late May

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#4 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

I would not be surprised at a late May/early June call-up either. Though to be fair - Santana has zero triple-A experience and is also a catcher. If Marson/Redmond are handling the stafff well and they still feel santana has some rough edges, he could be delayed.

That said, I've been trying to focus on Santana and Adam Moore as candidates with upside to push for starting time late in the season in redraft and keeper leagues (Moore is typically the only one available of the two in the latter leagues). I do not think it is at all unreasonable to succeed our projection recommendations on either player for keeper leagues if available during the auction league given their respective long-term values.

-Rob
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

Rob, thats a creepy avatar. *Back to your regular post*

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

is it not general zod (the pic, rob)?

i like carlos. but, i would expect his hitting to suffer when brought up. if you look at the arc of the hitting life of most catchers, you will see hitting usually is sub-par when they start their careers, no matter how good they may have been in AAA.

that is because hitting becomes somewhat secondary to calling pitches, working with pitchers, and the complex defense (and remember carlos is a converted infielder). usually it takes a couple of years to really learn the catching gig before the stick starts to catch up.

Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

#7 Post by Macca11 »

Thanks guys. My misguided theory was that he could be slotted in when Napoli was out of the line-up (see sig below for my team), which will be quite often. Looks like I'll drop him for now.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).