Lars Anderson or Neftali Feliz -- Who is better?

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Lars Anderson or Neftali Feliz -- Who is better?

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

It's a dynasty league, so nothing really matters except who will end up the better player. I have an opinion, but I'd like some others' to lament upon, too.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

rotodog

Re: Lars Anderson or Neftali Feliz -- Who is better?

#2 Post by rotodog »

Bodhizefa wrote:It's a dynasty league, so nothing really matters except who will end up the better player. I have an opinion, but I'd like some others' to lament upon, too.
If timeline isnt a consideration. Go with Lars. He may be blocked in the Sox scheme for a couple years, but the kid is Legit and can mash...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Probably comes down to philosophy in dynasty leagues as much as anything else. As opposed to keeper leagues with regular player turnover, I'm perfectly okay with keeping pitching.

Anderson is the safer bet, he's a position player in an organization that is showing can properly handle and develop youngsters (Youkilis, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lowrie). Feliz is a pitcher in an organization that is basically incendiary to a young hurlers career and the park is no picnic.

That said, Feliz has some SERIOUS upside. If I am

a. okay with keeping pitching and
b. pitching is inherently risky I
c. may as well keep a risky pitcher with a huge upside.

Anderson is nice, but in a dynasty format, I can find another solid 1B.

Sign me up for Feliz.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

First a caveat: I want Feliz so badly I can taste it but pick 7th in my minor league portion of the draft. I have already ranked him for my purposes higher than Anderson. Your question made me rethink my position and my head hurts.

Now ...

It might also depend upon the dynamics of your individual league.

In my league a good-great starting pitcher will go for much more than a 25 HR 1st baseman. Other leagues - not so much.

Also, which is more replaceable should you change your mind? How many nice looking 1Bs are floating around this winter?

Anderson, Smoak, Hosmer, Trumbo in the AL right now with LaPorta also on that list eventually. I don't see that many high K pitchers not named Price.

In that debate (we're a strikeout league) I'd prefer Feliz. I admit to concerns not only about the Texas park but also how they develop young pitchers.

However, another question could be how soon do you want them to play for you? I actually had so many decent keepers last year that I tried to select younger than normal minor league players our "minors" section of the auction/draft so they'd stay down longer.

I think Anderson will be more valuable in the next couple years and Feliz might be much more so longer term.

TB

ShawnC

#5 Post by ShawnC »

What Todd said. 1B are just too easy to replace - Feliz could be an elite pitcher and those don't come along near as often.