Who would experts pick for next minor league pick?

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
infiniteloop
Major Leaguer

Who would experts pick for next minor league pick?

#1 Post by infiniteloop »

I have the next pick in our minor league draft. Who would the experts pick for a 5x5 (HR, RBI, OBP, Runs, SB-CS) deep keeper league (meaning we don't necessarily need production this year)
Chris Carter,
Michael Taylor, or
Brett Wallace

also available:
Ryan Westmoreland
Anthony Rizzo
Nick Weglarz
Matthew Sweeney
Michael Brantley
p.s. I didn't really "get" the Lawr picks in the spreadsheet - it wasn't consistent w/ all other top minor pick lists out there, so didn't know what the difference is...
thanks for the help!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Who would experts pick for next minor league pick?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

This has been talked about in other threads -- Lawr's list is a very objective look at minor leaguers that focuses on certain performance metrics and really factors in age and level. It is really not designed to be a guide to fill your minors for the present fantasy season. It is very useful if you are in a deep dynasty league and need to fill in the back end of your minors list and to get a bunch of names to start following and watch their maturation through the minors.

There are others on the site much more in tune with the minors, but my somewhat educated take is Brantley if you want some immediate help and Taylor if you can wait a few months.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would not count on "consistency" for anything when it comes to minor leaguers - it's an inconsistent concept. That said, whereas I like Brantley, I can't help but see Matt La Porta written all over him if Branyan gets healthy. He'll get the old "back to the minors tot get his ABs" routine if that happens. So if that happens to Brantley, imagine what that does to Weglarz in the pecking order. I like to look at what is ahead of these players at the major league level for a one season deal - Brett Wallace doesn't go anywhere unless Encarnacion gets moved. Chris Carter only has Buck/Barton/Fox, et al. Michael Taylor doesn't have very much standing in his way.

Long term - I think the way you listed your top 3 is pretty much correct, but, as Todd said, I would add Brantley to that mix.
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on March 30th, 2010, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Carter for me