2 Catcher League Strategy

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

2 Catcher League Strategy

#1 Post by Black Sox »

In my 10 team mix, you must start 2 catchers. In a bunch of leagues my 2nd catcher seems to be C.Ruiz since I would select my last catcher in the reserve round. My question is do you think it would be better to pick up and start either B.Posey or C.Santana for the year, knowing that there is no gurantee when either will play, or to stay with Ruiz ? Is it sometimes better in this situation to be getting no stats as opposed to Ruizs' marginal stats?
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: 2 Catcher League Strategy

#2 Post by Black Sox »

Update: Was able to switch C.Ruiz for M.Olivo, does that change your opinion on my above question?
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 2 Catcher League Strategy

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

If you decide to go with the end-game catcher route, that means you in theory picked up better players at the other positions. If I felt I was okay in power, I would look for a guy that didn't hit a lot of HR but carried a decent average, which for a catcher is .250-.260.

If I was short on power, I'd grab a guy like Olivo or Ruiz.

If you weaver the catcher into the rest of your team, some stats are much better than none. The last catcher is worth $1. That's more than $0 if you design it so he contributes the right stats.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord