Thoughts on my AL Auction tomorrow

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Thoughts on my AL Auction tomorrow

#1 Post by viper »

First I plan to stop at Starbucks near the draft site. I mean it will start at 9am so coffee sounds right.

It's 10 teams, no bench.

If you draft a player who is sent to the minor prior to the season's start, you cannot reserve him. You either cut him or play with a black hole. Carlos Santana cannot even be brought up as he was designated today. If you draft Sizemore and the Tigers decide to send him down for a month or two, you can either cut him or play with a black hole in your lineup. I tend to try and draft only guaranteed starters aside from the catcher position.

My battle plan is 180/80, give or take a bit.
Corners: $55 (3 players)
Middles: $45 (3 players)
CA/UT: $20 (3 players - $19 CA and $1 UT)
OF: $60 (5 players)
SP: $40 (2 players)
SP: $20 (4 players)
CL/MR: $20 (3 players)

I concur with Todd that the AL should be more spread the wealth this year. That said, I have a second AL Auction, with many of the same people, a week later and I will probably do a Stars & Scrubs in that one.

Thoughts
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Thoughts on my AL Auction tomorrow

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well perhaps too basic, but my suggestion would be

1) Balanced - spread the risk
2) The Power of TWO!
3) I am not a fan of the $1 crappy catcher play

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

not a $1 CA, but $19 on two catchers and $1 for the UT
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

Yah I've been thinking the same thing about the catchers. It will get really shallow REALLY quick there. Not sure you want to be deciding if Jason Kendall is an ok 2nd catcher as AL only play. :lol:

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#5 Post by shif6 »

How did you come out?

viper
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by viper »

I started on thread on the results. Th eonly part of my plan was I had an exact 180/80 split - purely accidental. My Plan was as successful as the Cylons.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#7 Post by Tampa Bob »

Lord, I HOPE Kendall is a suitable 2nd catcher in an AL-only league.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter