New to League wondering about scoring system

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Boye

New to League wondering about scoring system

#1 Post by Boye »

I just joined a league 12 team points based league. Winner is whoever compiles most points through year. 25 man roster start 1B,2B,3B,SS, 3OF,DH, 5 SP, 2CL

Point system is as follows:

Hitting: 1B=1, 2B=2, 3B=3, HR=5, BB=1, HP=1, SB=2, R=1, RBI=1, CS= -2, K= -1, E= -1

Pitching: W= 10, IP =2, K= 1, CG= 5, SO= 10, SV= 7, L= -5, BB= -1, ER= -1, HA= -0.5, BS= -7

Last years top 5 hitters and pitchers

Hitters: Pujols 652, Beltran 596, Wright 590, Sizemore 585, Berkman 584
Pitchers: C.C. 730.5, Halladay 683, C.Lee 657.7, Lincecum 583, Santana 602.7

I was wondering if this league seems to be pitcher heavy and what king of stratagy people would use in a league like this. First time in something like this so looking for any opinions that could help but to me it looks like a pitching heavy league especially strikeout pitchers. Wonder what type of draft stratagy people would use.

Also Todd wonder if you had projections and anything else that would help with this type of league in the platinum plan you offer.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: New to League wondering about scoring system

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Multi-tasking now, will have an answer a bit later. An essay dedicated to handling leagues like this is part of the Platinum content that will be rolled out Feb 15.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#3 Post by cwk1963 »

It seems like it does favor at least the top K pitchers. Normally, I wouldn't take any pitchers in the first 5 - 7 rounds. In this kind of league I would probably take 2 in the 1st 7 rounds. As far as projections go, I'm not Todd and he'll probably have a much easier way of doing this but I would take the projections and put in a formula to convert the stats to points using the league point value as the multiplier. Then I'd total each player and sort by total points. Like I said, a lot of work but I like digging into things like that.
Last edited by cwk1963 on February 13th, 2009, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boye

#4 Post by Boye »

From what I have heard pitching flies of the board in this league. Last year 12 pitchers went in first 2 rounds alone. I am thinking I am going to have to go after one top pitcher in the first two rounds just to keep up

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Boye wrote:I just joined a league 12 team points based league. Winner is whoever compiles most points through year. 25 man roster start 1B,2B,3B,SS, 3OF,DH, 5 SP, 2CL

Point system is as follows:

Hitting: 1B=1, 2B=2, 3B=3, HR=5, BB=1, HP=1, SB=2, R=1, RBI=1, CS= -2, K= -1, E= -1

Pitching: W= 10, IP =2, K= 1, CG= 5, SO= 10, SV= 7, L= -5, BB= -1, ER= -1, HA= -0.5, BS= -7

Last years top 5 hitters and pitchers

Hitters: Pujols 652, Beltran 596, Wright 590, Sizemore 585, Berkman 584
Pitchers: C.C. 730.5, Halladay 683, C.Lee 657.7, Lincecum 583, Santana 602.7

I was wondering if this league seems to be pitcher heavy and what king of stratagy people would use in a league like this. First time in something like this so looking for any opinions that could help but to me it looks like a pitching heavy league especially strikeout pitchers. Wonder what type of draft stratagy people would use.

Also Todd wonder if you had projections and anything else that would help with this type of league in the platinum plan you offer.
OK, as far as projecting points, we don't project errors or HBP for hitters and CG, SO or BS for pitchers, you'd have to either intuitively raise or lower some players or project them and I can show you how to incorporate that into the points calculation.

The KEY in this league is PROPERLY valuing players. I assume you left out a catcher.

If there are 12 teams, there will be 12 C, 12 1B, 12 2B, 12 3B, 12 SS, 36 OF and 12 DH/UT with 84 SP and 24 RP.

To figure out useful points, you need to subtract the points from the worst player at each position (12th C, 12th 1B....36th OF, 60th SP, 24th RP, etc.). There is an adjustment for UT but we'll save that for the Platinum Kit.

I'd make my draft list using these adjusted rankings.

Looking at this league, intuitively, with such a shallow number of hitters used, not only does the scoring system favor SP in raw points, it also favors pitchers after the adjustment, as relatively speaking, the last position player is probably better than the 60th pitcher.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tig

#6 Post by Tig »

is this simply points based or is it h2h points?

If its h2h points, while the top K pitchers are valuable, your best bet is to load up on offense then be very, very active on the waiver wire with 2 start pitchers. Getting 2pts for an IP makes even marginal pitchers more valuable. and if they have 2 starts, a couple good outtings could lead your team to victory in any given week.

Even if its not h2h, id still be loading up on offense and rotating 2 start pitchers.

While the top SP's outscored the hitters, I believe you will see that the teams that finished atop the standings had better offenses than pitching staffs.

Hitters play 6-7 games a week. Pitchers only get 1 game per week, with a 2 game week usually every 3rd/4th week.

A gem for CC could score you 40pts for the week. 2 Quality Starts from Zach Duke could also score you 40. Whereas, if you spend too much on pitching, you are stuck with a 10pt week from Pedro Feliz rather than a 30pts week from Adrian Beltre.

Let everyone overspend on pitching

Tig

#7 Post by Tig »

Here is my scoring system:
1b(1) 2b(2) 3b(3) HR(4) R(1) RBI(1) Walk(1) HBP(1) SB(2) CS(-1) K(-1) MultiHit Game (2) Hit for Cycle (10)

W(7) Sv(5) K(1) IP(1) QS(3) CG(5) ShO(10) GF(2) NoHitter(10) Perfect Game(15) L(-3)
ER(-1) BS(-5)

I finished 3rd in the league in pts rotating 2 start pitchers each week. Here were the pitchers I finished the season with on my roster. Burnett was the only SP I got in the auction.

P A.J. Burnett NYY
P Brett Myers PHI
P Chris Young SD
P Zack Greinke KC
P Dave Bush MLW
P Edinson Volquez CIN
P Brandon Morrow SEA
RP Jose Valverde HOU
RP Brian Wilson SF
Bench Jon Garland ARZ
Bench Barry Zito SF
Bench Jeremy Guthrie BAL
Bench Ian Snell PIT
Bench Dana Eveland OAK

Boye

#8 Post by Boye »

problem with this is all the pitchers that are even mid to bad seem to go in this league. I agree that the team should be balanced but the last few years the pitching points for the winning teams to seem to be the difference for sure. If you do pick up some crappy 2 start pitcher who gets shelled you could also end the week with negative points as well using this stratagy. More than likely you may get one ok start and then a dud thats the reason no one picks these guys up in the first place. Also it is a cumulative points league no head to head just total points for the year. Thanks for input