Mastersball Site Layout..

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
whammer
Major League Regular

Mastersball Site Layout..

#1 Post by whammer »

I want to say I really think the MB staff and writers are outstanding. The only problem in My opinion is the layout of the site..difficult to see what is newly posted information as newer and older articles kind of co mingle on the home page. One suggestion is to more claerly label the newer article's

Just a thought.

Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mastersball Site Layout..

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What you'll see is the most recent article of each section is on top, but we have several distinct sections intermingled so it looks as if new are betwixt old.

Heh, someone bet me I couldn't use betwixt in a post today...

On the left is the Masters blog

On the right you'll see the active staff blogs with the most recent entry for each up top -- that may be what is confusing.

Below that are the intelligence reports.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

brian
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by brian »

Several of us have formed a small working group behind the scenes to review the site design and suggest changes. Your thoughts are most welcome.
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

If you are looking for observations, here are mine:

When I go to the Platinum set of articles, etc. a date besides each giving the last time updated or added would be nice. I always wonder if the most recent projections have had a tweak or not based on closer changes etc. Plus, as articles are added, I may miss one due to the volume of articles - the volume is a real good thing.

On the main page, I dislike having to scroll the page to see if anything, anywhere is new. Maybe the top could have a "today's topics" section.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

50 Desert Eagles

#5 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Well since we are talking about it, I want that magic button that just does everything I want without thinking or clicking....other then that, I have learned HOW to navigate, so leave it alone. I am on the web as much or more then anyone in here(it's kinda my job), nothing worse then knowing where something is, then every week some knucklehead moves it, so you spend twice the time or say hell with it and do something else. Just my thoughts.....

JP Kastner

#6 Post by JP Kastner »

The layout and design are my area of responsibility and I take full credit. I can say that I'm not happy with the design and that there will be changes, but the week before Tout Wars and the NFBC are not the week I'm going to do it.

The original design was based upon good intentions. I just came over from CS, so I designed the site based upon three writers. I intentionally made it look fuller (larger font more white space) so that it looked like we had more content. Then we added Rob, the entire CS staff, Chris and Jesse and finally Perry. People are motivated and are writing five articles a week. Now I don't have enough room. This is a good problem to have!

I have added a latest articles module above the Mastersblog. That was easy to do and an obvious solution to a glaring problem.

I have been collecting ideas for the 2011 version and I'm interested in hearing peoples comments. I have a development site and I'll point people to that site for additional comments.

rotonut

#7 Post by rotonut »

Love, love, love that you guys are so willing to incorporate your subscriber's comments.

The "Latest Articles" box is a big help. Perhaps you can add one for Premium content as well so, like viper said, we know when new projections, depth charts, tiers, cvrc, etc. are tweaked and posted.

In the future, what do you think about having a link to a chronological listing of articles/projections, or even a calendar view, that lists all of the articles or files by date. There, you can note whether or not the article is free or premium and lock out the premium content to those not possessing the requisite credentials.

Alternatively, since we are now conditioned to think blog, why not just list the articles on the front page in date order with the newest on top instead of by category? You can still keep the links to the appropriate topic headings where the reader can find all articles (newest on top, of course).

Just food for thought. Thanks again for your continuing efforts to improve the site.

Andrew

JP Kastner

#8 Post by JP Kastner »

We very much listen to our readers.