2009 entry draft prospects

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

2009 entry draft prospects

#1 Post by viper »

OK, I'm in a Dynasty league and tomorrow starts our entry draft. The only players eligible are players selected in the 2009 entry draft plus these Cuban guys who have recently signed. I have the 10th pick out of twelve. I figure I will select just one player. The problem is I need a list of players who are dynasty worthy. I can afford one and maybe two roster spots. I'm looking for names. BTW, Aaron Crow was taken last year. Being signed by a team is not relevant.

All I know for sure are Strasburg, Ackley, Chapman, Leake & Storen.

Position doesn't matter all that much.

All help would be appreciated.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Re: 2009 entry draft prospects

#2 Post by Guest »

The SS Iglesias the Red Sox signed - not sure how good his stick will be but he's the SS in two years.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

viper wrote:OK, I'm in a Dynasty league and tomorrow starts our entry draft. The only players eligible are players selected in the 2009 entry draft plus these Cuban guys who have recently signed. I have the 10th pick out of twelve. I figure I will select just one player. The problem is I need a list of players who are dynasty worthy. I can afford one and maybe two roster spots. I'm looking for names. BTW, Aaron Crow was taken last year. Being signed by a team is not relevant.

Mike - "2009 entry draft"? do you mean MLB's 2009 amateur draft?

This is off the top of my head:
1) Strasburg, P, WAS
2) Chapman, P, CIN
3) Ackley, OF/1B (maybe 2B), SEA
4) Storen, P, WAS (only if cheap closers are a big plus....I think they are in most leagues)
5) Donavan Tate, OF, SD
6) Mike Leake, P, CIN
7) Bobby Borchering, 3B, AZ
8) A.J. Pollock, OF, AZ
9) Jared Mitchell, OF, CWS (current injury wont matter in dynasty)
10) Grant Green, SS, OAK

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mjlewis »

does Colby Lewis qualify? I know he wasn't just drafted and he isn't Cuban but he's new to the league... sort of.

- Mike

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

Captain Hook wrote:
viper wrote:OK, I'm in a Dynasty league and tomorrow starts our entry draft. The only players eligible are players selected in the 2009 entry draft plus these Cuban guys who have recently signed. I have the 10th pick out of twelve. I figure I will select just one player. The problem is I need a list of players who are dynasty worthy. I can afford one and maybe two roster spots. I'm looking for names. BTW, Aaron Crow was taken last year. Being signed by a team is not relevant.

1) Strasburg, P, WAS
2) Chapman, P, CIN
4) Storen, P, WAS (only if cheap closers are a big plus....I think they are in most leagues)
5) Donavan Tate, OF, SD
6) Mike Leake, P, CIN
8) A.J. Pollock, OF, AZ
10) Grant Green, SS, OAK
yes, that one. I'm essentially looking for 10 people who have legitimate chances to be something. After this entry draft is over, we follow up with a draft of existing free agents. There isn't much there as all 12 teams have 40 man rosters.

Each team is carrying 4-8 prospects. Our first draft was last year when the league started. My prospects coming out of that draft were Hanson, Bumgarner, Poreda [now maybe a bust], Arcenibia, Tim Beckham, Matt Dominguez, & Todd Frazier.

After both drafts are completed, all remaining entry draft player become available free agents so if some 16th round pick starts shinning, anyone can get them via waivers. If there is a new defection for Cuba, that player must wait for next year's entry draft for the league even if he is the World series MVP.

Like the marines, I am looking for a few good men.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

viper
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by viper »

mjlewis wrote:does Colby Lewis qualify? I know he wasn't just drafted and he isn't Cuban but he's new to the league... sort of.

- Mike
I'm pretty sure Colby Lewis does not apply. He was drafted in the entry draft several years ago I assume. I'm not sure who full-fledged Japanese players apply however. At least those who have come over since last September. The waiver wire is frozen effective when the last day of the season starts. I think it was closed for everyone but the Twins and Tigers on that Sunday. It was closed for players on those two teams once that playoff game started.

Lewis will be available when we hold a waiver wire players draft immediately following the rookie draft. I will check when my turn comes up however.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

viper
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by viper »

To PVH - besides Strasburg and Storen, who were the other 2009 entry draft players in the AFL? How did they do?

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Mike - to the best of my recollection (without looking it up), maybe Ackley,, not sure about Minor and Leake but think one if not both. You can easily look up the stats and see.

Ackley should be drafted in your league, as should Leake (there is a reason why he is the only pitcher I listed other than Strasburg and Storen)

There were two outfielders drafted in the first round by the Angels (they had back to back picks) who both played really well in the rookie league - Mike Trout and Randal Grichuk.....both will eventually get to the show but I prefer Trout at this point.

viper
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by viper »

anything on the two diamondback picks -Borchering & Pollock

so far it has been strasburg, ackley, matzek, tate & storen

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

viper wrote:anything on the two diamondback picks -Borchering & Pollock

so far it has been strasburg, ackley, matzek, tate & storen
Borchering.....power hitting VERY young 3B; and
Pollock.....very talented OF out of Notre Dame;
Both are very good lonnnnng term prospects....you have better names already unless you are going to get a second player....in which case you might also consider the Angels two back to back OF picks - Mike Trout and Randal Grichuk

viper
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by viper »

Captain Hook wrote:

1) Strasburg, P, WAS
2) Chapman, P, CIN
5) Donavan Tate, OF, SD
6) Mike Leake, P, CIN
8) A.J. Pollock, OF, AZ
10) Grant Green, SS, OAK
After 15 selections, only Pollock remains. Also, defectors go in the the waiver draft following this three round draft. My pick is bolded.

Selections in order
1.01 SP Stephen Strasburg (WAS)
1.02 OF Dustin Ackley (SEA)
1.03 SP Tyler Matzek (COL)
1.04 OF Donovan Tate (SD)
1.05 RP Drew Storen (WAS)
1.06 SS Grant Green (OAK)
1.07 RP Rex Brothers (COL)
1.08 SP Jacob Turner (DET)
1.09 3B Bobby Borchering (ARI)
1.10 SP Mike Leake (CIN)
1.11 SP Shelby Miller (STL)
1.12 OF Mike Trout (LAA)
1.12A OF Jared Mitchell (CWS)

ROUND 2
2.13 SP Zack Wheeler (SF)
2.14 SP Tanner Scheppers (TEX)

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

I really like the other Angel pick - Randal Grichuk and would take he or Pollock next

viper
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by viper »

There is another round to go but I think i am through. I did get Randal Grichuk on my second round selection. Pollock went two picks before my turn.

Thanks very much for your suggestions/selections.

Now I need to get ready for our waiver draft. I need a catcher as Kung Fu panda is no longer catcher eligible. I suspect all the Cubans will be gone before my tenth pick. I think I am the only team needing a catcher. Suzuki, AJ and Yadier are all available. The league is 12-team, 40 man rosters but only one catcher active.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer