Rios or mcclouth?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
rotodog

Rios or mcclouth?

#1 Post by rotodog »

Same basic price for 5x5 roto purposes... Which one do you want and a quick why....I am having a hard time deciding between the 2 for 2010...

Thanks

Hambowen

Re: Rios or mcclouth?

#2 Post by Hambowen »

I would say Mcclouth for sure. Only way I would go Rios is if I have BA issues but even then I would probably just go mcClouth and figure out BA another way.

Kinda surprised they would be going for the same price. I would think Rios might be a bit discounted given the bad year last year.

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

McLouth.

He will hit more HR than Rios for sure, he will probably steal just as many if not more bases than Rios. Rios will hit for a higher AVG than McLouth but I feel that the difference is more like .280 vs .265 rather than .300 vs .250 and therefore not enough to outweigh the difference in the counting stats.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

rotodog wrote:Same basic price for 5x5 roto purposes... Which one do you want and a quick why....I am having a hard time deciding between the 2 for 2010...

Thanks
If you read the answer I just typed to another question in this forum, they all apply but all things being equal, this choice is safety versus upside......

McLouth - much more likely to give you projected stats

Rios - far more likely to have more upside....and yes what goes with that is far more downside risk.
Which do you want

....and PS - asking the question clearly means you are not reading my Cactus League Notes blog ;)

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

Perry,

Sadly, i have not read your cactus league notes...So I imagine you must like or dislike one of them from what you have seen this spring.

the responses have told me exactly what I already knew. Mcclouth is probably a little more valuable with a little more reliable stat line. But Rios has a little more upside... These things I know.. But one thing keeps bothering me.
That is Rios upside. I can still see a Matt Kemp like season from him... He has burned me numerous times in the past though.

In a friendly hitting park in Chicago, with a manager that likes to run and play baseball that is suited to Rios talents, I have a feeling that RIos is in for a big year...Thats really the problem here..
Add in the motivation for Rios to redeem himself and I read somewhere that he is going back to a simpler swing like he had in years past...

So when I posted 5x5 mixed roto and about the same reasonable price, I was looking for an opinion as to which one would others want on there team in 2010 if price wasnt a factor in the decision.. Basically they could both be rostered at a price of 13 bucks this season...

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

rotodog wrote:Perry,
Sadly, i have not read your cactus league notes...
Well get busy......the very inside note on Rios is still there.....it shouldn't be here on the free boards....and I haven't seen it in print anywhere else yet.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by lawr »

well, i would want to know cost, if any.

i am not sure mcclouth gets any better, but, i doubt he will get worse. rios has upside and issues. but, i am also not sure i would freeze either, depending upon variables. or, i might still try to swap em.