Tailoring CVRC's

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Skin Blues
Major League Regular

Tailoring CVRC's

#1 Post by Skin Blues »

I'm just curious if there are certain parameters I should be using to get accurate dollar values for a standard Yahoo mixed league. 12 teams, 1xC/1B/2B/3B/SS, 2xUT, 3xOF, 2xSP, 2xRP, 4xP, 5 bench, 1250 IP limit, 162 GP limit for hitters. My main concern is the IP limit with daily lineup changes, as opposed to simply using a certain amount of pitchers for every game they play. I can get it pretty close by changing the 8 P spots to 9 (since it seems more likely to use a 5 SP/4 RP setup with one SP rotating into a bench spot given that there are daily lineup changes), but I'm not really sure how to handle the bench spots.

Using a series of waiver wire fodder middle relievers with good ERA/WHIP/K instead of an SP who is generally pretty crappy in the ratio departments might be a good strategy (4 SP/6 RP), and there seems to be ample spots for this since there are 6 spots that RP can be slotted into. The fact that there is simply a cap on IP as opposed to GP allows for this. For instance, using the two RP spots for closers and the 4 P spots for Mike Adams, Pat Neshek, Matt Thornton, and Hong-Chih Kuo (with daily lineup changes, I'd strategically bench one of them if more than two SPs are going on any given day and thus requiring the use of a P spot) would produce a stat line equivalent to an SP with 258 IP, 280 K (9.77 K/9), 3.45 ERA and a WHIP of 1.17, not to mention a scattering of 12 saves and the possibility of one of those 4 guys sliding into a full-time closer role if an injury occurs. Not too shabby. And definitely a more well spent $4-$5 than tossing it out there for Jorge de la Rosa or Jeff Niemann.

So... how do I deal with this in terms of dollar values? Am I over-thinking it? Should I simply leave the dollar values alone and implement this more as a means of a strategy of targeting elite middle relievers on the cheap, and make a mental note to avoid the lower-tiered SPs that don't have much potential?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Tailoring CVRC's

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Dollar values are moot with a strategy like this as you will be using pitchers with favorable matchups and their projections obviously assume the whole season.

And since you are saving money on pitching and have extra to spend on hitting, and the league is shallow, extreme stars and scrubs is the best play so you can also throw hitting values in the dumper.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord