Blue Jays Closer situation

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Hambowen

Blue Jays Closer situation

#1 Post by Hambowen »

Anything new on the blue jays closer job?

Most people seem to be saying Frasor.

Any info that makes anyone think differently or is it still too up in the air?

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Blue Jays Closer situation

#2 Post by viper »

I've also read that the Twins may be looking to get Frasor.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#3 Post by Black Sox »

read same thing as Viper, ( makes sense now why twins never commented on internal candidates ) I would think Downs would be the favorite over Gregg. Even though they gave Gregg those $$, he's pitched poorly and Downs was closer over Frasor before getting hurt.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

Black Sox wrote:read same thing as Viper, ( makes sense now why twins never commented on internal candidates ) I would think Downs would be the favorite over Gregg. Even though they gave Gregg those $$, he's pitched poorly and Downs was closer over Frasor before getting hurt.
I dont think they signed Gregg and paid him the money to be an 7th /8th inning guy.. Of course if he struggles in ST or early n the season this may force the hand...

But for some reason, I think they like Frasor/Downs clamping down the 7th/8th and if they can live with gregg blowing a save here and there, i can see them going with Gregg initially... It doesnt mean that he will keep the job, but I think the jays are really hoping gregg can save games for them..... Then they can trade him off mid summer and install Frasor there..

That is if they cant get anything good in trade from the Twins/Cubs....If that happens, Gregg is even more solidified with Downs as the 8th inning guy and Lefty...

My play? depends on the format.... If it were today, i would speculate very low dollars on gregg in a mixed and a few more dollars in an AL..His price will be depressed and if tossed out early before the desperate dollars start chasing anyone sniffing a save, he might be worth the gamble. Even if he closes and is ineffective at some point or gets traded, he should be good for 15 saves... After buying Gregg cheap, If you can grab Downs/Frasor in an AL for 2-3 bucks or grab them in a mIXED and have a deep reserve , that would be ideal....

None of this means I think Gregg is the better pitcher..Actually I think the guy they gave up In League was superior to all them.... But the Jays are rebuilding and the Gregg signing does nothing for them if he pitches th 7th inning as far as potential trade value...They will let him rack 15 saves and trade em away and install the best internal candidate on the roster...

Dont forget they also own Mcgowan and Accardo... I could actually see them maybe trying Mcgowan in the bullpen someday after all the shoulder troubles..Maybe the BP will be kinder to Mcgowans Shoulder.....Kind of like they did with Smoltz

Hambowen

#5 Post by Hambowen »

I have Gregg and Downs for $2 in a mixed keeper league that we keep 13. Was considering one of them since it is a league you start 3 rp's. I currently have no Relievers I am keeping and will be buying saves at the draft. Rest of the team is stacked with offense and good starters. Might be the best keeper list I have ever had.

Might keep Gregg and hope he is the closer. Sounds like people think he will atleast get 10-15 saves which in a league like this is helpful.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

keep an eye on Josh Roenicke, too.

I have to think Frasor leads the way, followed by Gregg and Downs. But, none of that troika has ever been dominant in holding the job.

Roenicke was a closer in the minors, and if you check out his totals with Cincy, just before being swapped, they were indeed closer numbers.

I have talked with his dad (Gary) and he can bring it at around 100. He did struggle since the swap, but, he has the stuff. For sure.

Mickey4081

#7 Post by Mickey4081 »

Gregg is the relief pitcher in that bullpen with the most closing experiece. Downs and Frasor have had some success but as long as Gregg is around he should get the most save opps.