Projection Sheet Dollar Amounts

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
steinhoff
Low-A

Projection Sheet Dollar Amounts

#1 Post by steinhoff »

I'm relatively new to fantasy bb. Out league uses an auction draft.

When looking at your projection spread sheet, it gives a dollar amount at the end column for each player. Would that be what I would use at the draft as my high point price for that player? Our league uses a $260 limit for each team at the auction- is that a standard amount that most leagues use?

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Projection Sheet Dollar Amounts

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

WELCOME!!!

I wouldn't necessarily use that as a set-in-stone stopping point. The best thing to do is search the forum on some keywords like "auction" to get some great advice.

Our values are for $260, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers

AL only is 12 teams
NL only in 13 teams
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Congratulations and welcome to the madness. In addition, there are some parameters you may want to incorporate in your search, depending on the rules of your league (4x4, 5x5, keeper league, dynasty league, etc.) such as "inflation", "Strategy", "value" and "scarcity". And whatever you do, take what you read and use it as a guideline, not an absolute. As Todd stated - not a set in stone thing - your league rules and your philosophy has to be considered as well.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

As others have mentioned, do the search...There are so many ways to go as far as using dollar values and just about everyone of them has been discussed here... I will also suggest you read a couple of Todd's Stories he wrote recently for SI.com. The links are on the main MB page.. Very informative...

The only piece of advice I will give because we could go on forever, is to use dollar values tailored to your league . 15 team mixed vs 12 mixed vs 12 Tm AL vs 13 team NL will all alter a players value. Use the dollar values as a guide and not as a bid ceiling.. Use them to find value as it relates to other players and importance to your roster..

And never trust Valuations you see in a magazine or freely available on the net unless you know exactly how they were calculated and what type of format they were meant for...

Aside of that, read and study anything you can about auction bidding and pricing before draft day and ask questions if you need to...I am sure someone here will have an opinion or answer...

steinhoff
Low-A

#5 Post by steinhoff »

Thanks for the help.

rsvp_nj
Triple-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 Roto

#6 Post by rsvp_nj »

My first reply on these boards too. Just signed up ten minutes ago. Glad to be here! I was a member on the old Mastersball forum site a few years back. Then it became something else, or I became something else, and something merged....

I'm wondering why on the excel sheet valuations offered here, why not show a ten-team league set of values along with 12 and 15? I wish my league was 12 teams, but it isn't, and neither is the second league I'm in. They're both ten. I'm sure there are many of you in mixed 10-team leagues too. I've never come near a 15-team league, though it would probably be great.

Anyway, is there a general formula I can use to adjust 12-team values for my upcoming 10-team auction? Perhaps this has been addressed to death here - I just haven't found it in my forum searches yet. Am I decreasing values shown for 12-team, and by what percentage, 8.33% ?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

#7 Post by Guest »

Fair question - if the worldwide leader is going with 10 team mixed leagues perhaps we should standardize that as well.

If you're not comfortable with the CVRC we offer that will give you customized values for your league, send me or Todd a PM with your email and league parameters and we'll run it and email it to you.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

What is the lineup configuration? It is easy enough to add to the template.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rsvp_nj
Triple-A

#9 Post by rsvp_nj »

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with your CVRC yet. Just haven't discovered it yet. Is it in the Excel file? Where is my best place to look to find the details?

Todd,

Thanks, since you asked, the league I hope to win money in, is mixed, 14/9

C,1B,2B,SS,3B, MI,CI,OF,OF,OF,OF,UT,UT,UT
Pitching is Libertarian - any nine you want to go with.
Doubt it matters, but weekly lineups. CVRC would be great in case we add or lose a team last minute.

So glad I got back here. Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Is that the standard ESPN settings?

The CVRC is the Custom Value and Rankings Calculator and is posted in the Platinum section. There is a primer included in the download. It is an excel spreadsheet loaded with the current projections and you can customize the settings to get values and rankings specific to your league.

rsvp_nj
Triple-A

#11 Post by rsvp_nj »

It's a league hosted by Sportsline. The settings might be custom settings.

I must confess Todd, I went Gold...

I guess the general question becomes, is there a rough percentage increase/decrease that can be applied to the 12 team values across the board to compensate for last minute league team number changes ?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

To be 100% honest, values in such a shallow league should really be tossed out the window and a stars and scrubs approach should be employed because you can easily fill in the back end of your roster with $1 guys that you can replace if they struggle. Use what we have for 12 team leagues as a means of ranking players relative to each other. Pick out some stars you like and go get them.

Truthfully, it's the way to go in such a league.

With so many UT, I would focus on stars at 2B, SS and 3B.

rsvp_nj
Triple-A

#13 Post by rsvp_nj »

Todd Zola wrote:To be 100% honest, values in such a shallow league should really be tossed out the window and a stars and scrubs approach should be employed because you can easily fill in the back end of your roster with $1 guys that you can replace if they struggle. Use what we have for 12 team leagues as a means of ranking players relative to each other. Pick out some stars you like and go get them.

Truthfully, it's the way to go in such a league.

With so many UT, I would focus on stars at 2B, SS and 3B.
Excellent advice Todd, probably for many of us. In fact, with all of the baseball sites and articles I've read, I don't think I've ever seen those words stated before regarding ten-team leagues. This league is unique with 3 UT's. They expanded from 2 last year. It may not seem it, but it is quite competitive anyway.

I'm giving David Wright a chance to redeem himself (Keeper league) thanks to your advice, and I'll also bid for the stars for Hanley.

Now, I'd better join a 12+ team league...