Need some H2H Strategy/Tips

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Need some H2H Strategy/Tips

#1 Post by CubFan »

After 16 years of Roto style scoring our league is going to try H2H. So, not having played it before are there any nuances I should be aware of, tips that have worked for you, load up on hitters vs pitchers, etc? In my limited research some have championed punting a category like saves and loading up on power hitters. Others, say don't punt and try to have a balanced team. Appreciate any ideas that you have personally found that worked for you.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Need some H2H Strategy/Tips

#2 Post by viper »

I used to do a lot of ESPN H2H. My way of playing there no longer works as they limits add/drops each week. I will say that punting a category is a bad way to go. You end of totally conceding categories. The weekly ups and downs in categories means you have a smaller margin of error. I would stress hitting a bit but plan to be competitive in all categories.

I totally dropped H2H as the week-to-week grind got to be a bit much with even limited daily moves. With a weekly set lineup, I would find it very unsatisfying compared to roto. That said, we live in a "what have you done for me lately" world and not a "take time to smell the roses" world. As you age, the roses are more appealing.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

I dont know how most people feel about this - but I think batting average is a stat you can play with more than normal. in a season long approach - having two or three guys like adam dunn or carlos pena or danny uggla - that will significantly hurt your batting average over the season.

But in a week to week matchup - they have good weeks and they have really bad weeks. They might kill you one week and the next week they might not hurt you at all.

another big difference is the type of score keeping. figure that out now.

IE yahoo uses points earned to score for the season so you an I play in week one and I win 6 categories to your 4

My record is 6-4
Your record is 4-6

On the other hand other scoring systems just use a W-L system so a 8-2 win is equal to a 6-4 win. In that type of scoring system - i would certainly advocate punting a category (or two) to consistently dominate 8 of the categories hoping to get a 6-4 win every week.
obviously the easiest to punt are stolen bases and saves - but I have tried variations, like trying to win saves/ERA/WHIP and then get all five category hitters (this could be accomplished with a 2nd tier starter (especially a groundball pitcher who doesn't strikeout guys cause you'll never amount to much in KKKs each week anyways but someone who consistently earns low ERA and WHIP) and 3 crappy closers and 3 awesome middle relief guys)

its hard to get 11-12 five category hitters - but if you are spending minimum on pitchers its not impossible.

50 Desert Eagles

#4 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Well since all I do is H2H, maybe I can help out some....Most important....does your league allow trading? I see you have Ellsbury, so u won't need speed at all. Let someone else buy Bourn or Morgan(unless somehow they are almost free) Since you have a 5x5 league, you can't really punt. I see your Rp's and wonder, how are they helping you? If you don't have holds, then a few wins and few loses and some weak k's are it. Maybe they will become closers, then have value. Now you were talking about Uggla/Pena and a few others....Yes, they kill Ba for sure, but they help in HR, RBI and Runs. So look to offset, I.E. you got Youk, great BA, Pair him with .240 Uggla, pops you at .270BA, get a slap hitting SS like Tejada, that puts you at mid .280's. Now you can also look for higher BA power guys, such as Derek Lee/Rameriez, just to name a few....In my league this yr....I kept, Pedoria, Ichiro, Braun and Markakis. Mostly HIGH .Ba with little pop(besides braun) So draft day, I was all about power and blew caution for BA to the wind....I snagged Uggla AND Pena, as well as Derek Lee, then when I needed a SS....I had to choose Drew or Tejada. I went back in my mind to needing more BA....so I took Tejada. Now I am playing with ppl in the league with dangling Uggla out there for trade, most are saying not with his BA, but a few realize they need the 30hr.....So I can look to get almost the power back, plus a bonus player needed elsewhere. If I don't get it, fine I will take Uggla and going by projections for my starting bats...my BA is....288! Anyway hope this helps you some...BTW enjoy the 12 teams, mine is 20 team....so Colby Lewis was even drafted! :lol:

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've updated my signature with my keeper list. I had no plans on protecting any RP. I'm also in an AL only league so I won't have to worry about Bourn, etc. In H2H we are playing 1 point/week for a "W", not doing a W for each category. Greinke, Lee, Sabbathia, Weaver, Anderson, Verlander are the top SP being protected. So, it looks like top notch SP will be in demand. Can't punt SBs as I was unable to trade Ellsbury. So, I'm wondering the merits of punting saves and use the money I had set aside for 2 top SP. I could also think about going after a lower rated closer and hope that I tie in saves a third of the time. BTW....there are some roto "experts" who believe Lewis may end up being the best starter in Texas this year.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

50 Desert Eagles

#6 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Lewis the best for Texas...WOW if thats the case, then they are worse then ever. I haven't heard anyone say much about Lewis except he is a $1 risk. Maybe $2 for AL only.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Key for Lewis will be his walk rate.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by CubFan »

ex-Masterballer Jason Grey drafted him for $4 in the AL LABR draft. While I agree that Lewis is a risk, over the years Jason has shown a keen eye on pitching. Just saying.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

While there is no doubt Jas has a keen eye for pitching, a guy like Lewis also fits his m.o. with respect to the type of pitchers he drafts on his squads.

Chances are, it is a little bit of both.

That is, Jas doesn't throw blind darts, there is a reason he went with Lewis.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord