Late round catcher

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
joshua

Late round catcher

#1 Post by joshua »

I'm in the 9th round of a mixed draft with 20 teams. We do AL, flip the draft order,then do NL. I have peanuts left at catcher. Here are the choices: John Buck, Carlos Santana, Kelly Shoppach,Laird,Avila,Navarro,Kendall, Varitek, Bard, etc. Now,I have read the Adam Moore hype,and the Santana hype. I could probably grab Mark Ellis at a M.I. position,and punt the catcher pick till the NL draft. Any one of these crumb bums jump out at you as somebody with some value? Will Santana get 350 ab's? Will Moore be worth a last round pick?

deansdaddy

Re: Late round catcher

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - in a 20 team league Shoppach isn't a bad pick. He'll provide some pop. Santana will be up at some point - but it could be the All-Star break. I also like Moore and KC's Brayan Pena - but both will be part timers to start. If he's there I say grab Shoppach. Otherwise set your sights of miguel montero in the NL side of the draft.

joshua

#3 Post by joshua »

What about Navarro? Will he be a factor?

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

Why reach for a catcher now if better players are available...Grab one in the NL portion...Miguel Montero, Doumit, mccann etc....

Two catcher league or one? that will make difference.. if its a one catcher league, screw the AL's dregs....grab an NL catcher when you flip..

joshua

#5 Post by joshua »

I'm in the 9th round of the american league in a 20 team league. Yes, I could take Jack Cust, or Brandon Inge, or even Mark Ellis. My thought is : if there is nothing left, I would rather take a catcher with upside than fill up my offensive slots with the Jack Custs of the world. Do you have any suggestions on any of the catchers I had mentioned earlier...

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

if its not too late, I'll second DD's nomination of shoppach. getting a potential 20 HR from your catcher is a real boost.

joshua

#7 Post by joshua »

Shoppach it is, then. I appreciate the feedback.

rotodog

#8 Post by rotodog »

seeing as you pressed me for a late rd AL catcher from that bunch, Then I will be the third to say Kelly Shoppach...